Oct. 16, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla.- The Auburn women's tennis team was in action today in Tallahassee, Florida in the Seminole Quad hosted by Florida State University. Day one saw the Tigers capture five singles victories to go along with a doubles victory.
In the first doubles match of the day, senior All-American Fani Chifchieva and freshman Plamena Kurteva were defeated by Jessica Sucupira and Francesca Segarelli of Florida State, 8-3. The duo of Myrthe Molenveld and Daniela Vukadinovic dropped a hard-fought battle to the Seminole pair of Federica Suess and Amy Sargeant in second doubles, 8-6, while Caroline Thornton and Paulina Schippers fell to Bonny Davidson and Katie Rybakova of Florida State 8-3.
In singles action, Chifchieva downed Sonja Holnar of Iowa 4-6, 7-6, 6-0 in three sets in first singles. In second flight action, Iowa's Lynne Poggensee-Wei defeated Molenveld in straight sets 7-5, 7-5.
Following Molenveld's defeat, the Tigers reeled off four-straight wins, beginning with Vukadinovic downing Hawkeye Cuzi Chmelarona in three sets 6-1, 6-7, 6-3. Thornton picked up another Tiger three set victory, rallying to defeat Iowa's Alexis Dorr after dropping the first set 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.
Auburn's final two victories of the day came in straight sets, as Schippers defeated Jessica Young 7-5, 6-4 and Hastenrath downed Kelcie Klocvenga 6-2, 6-1 giving the Tigers five wins in six matches against Iowa.
"We did a better job working and fought hard today," said head coach Tim Gray. "I think we made fewer mental errors and that was the difference in several matches. I'm happy with our progress. "
Day two for Auburn begins at 9 a.m. with doubles matches against Florida Atlantic and Iowa at 10 a.m. Singles matches against Florida State will begin at 1:20 p.m.
1) Jessica Sucupira/Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Fani Chifchieva/Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 8-3
2) Federica Suess/Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Daniela Vukadinovic (AUB) 8-6
3) Bonny Davidson/Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Caroline Thornton/Paulina Schippers (AUB) 8-3
1) Fani Chifchieva (AUB) def. Sonja Holnar (Iowa) 4-6, 7-6 (2), 6-0
2) Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Myrthe Moleveld (AUB) 7-5, 7-5
3) Daniela Vukadinovic (AUB) def. Cuzi Chmelarona (IOWA) 6-1, 6-7, 6-3
4) Caroline Thornton (AUB) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
5) Paulina Schippers (AUB) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) 7-5, 6-4
6) Jill Hastenath (AUB) def. Kelcie Klocvenga (IOWA) 6-2, 6-1
For more information contact Scott Kemps at 334-844-9900.