Women's Tennis Wraps Up Action at Seminole Quad
Oct. 18, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Auburn women's tennis team concluded day three of the Seminole Quad on Sunday in a tournament hosted by Florida State University. While the first two days of the tournament including both singles and doubles play, day three consisted of solely singles play.
Playing in first singles for the first time this season, Myrthe Molenveld defeated Florida Atlantic's Chrissie Serendi 6-2, 6-0. In second singles, freshman Caroline Thornton continued her solid play on the weekend, as she defeated Owl Mariana Muci 5-4 before she was forced to retire due to injury.
Auburn's third victory of the day came off the racket off freshman Paulina Schippers, who defeated Maria Valliasciani of FIU in straight sets 6-3, 6-3. In fifth-flight singles, senior Heather Bybee picked up her first win of the weekend and the final Tiger victory of the weekend over FIU's Magali Holt.
The Tigers will next be in action beginning on Fri., Oct. 23 as the team hosts the ITA Southern Regional from Yarborough Tennis Center. The tournament will consist of 12 teams, with singles and doubles matches on Oct. 23-26.
1) Myrthe Molenveld (AUB) def. Chrissie Seredni (FIU) 6-2, 6-0
2) Caroline Thornton (AUB) def. Mariana Muci (FIU) 5-4 (RET)
3) Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Jil Hastenrath (AUB) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
4) Paulina Schippers (AUB) def. Maria Valliasciani (FIU) 6-3, 6-3
5) Heather Bybee (AUB) def. Magali Holt (FIU) 6-2, 6-0
6) Mary Beelen (Iowa) def. Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 6-1, 6-0
More Auburn Football Headlines
More Auburn Headlines