Oct. 17, 2009
AUBURN, Ala. - The Auburn women's tennis team was in action on day two of the Seminole Quad, hosted by Florida State University on Saturday. The day saw the Tigers pick up a doubles victory to go along with a singles win by freshman Plamena Kurteva.
Auburn's doubles victory came from a pair of freshman in third doubles, as Carolina Thornton and Paulina Schippers downed Florida Atlantic's Maria Vallasciani and Magali Holt, 8-1. In singles play, Kurteva picked up her second victory of the day, defeating Bonny Davidson of Florida State via injury default 5-2 in the first set.
The Tigers conclude play tomorrow, Sun., Oct. 18 b beginning with singles play at 9 a.m.
1) Molnar/Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Chifchieva/Molenveld (AUB) 9-7
2) Beelen/Chmelarova (IOWA) def. Thornton/Schippers (AUB) 8-1
3) Young/Klockenga (IOWA) def. Hastenrath/Kurteva (AUB) 9-7
1) Mariana Muci/Chrissie Seredni (FIU) def. Fani Chifchieva/Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 8-5
2) Priscilla Castillo/Maria Spenceley (FIU) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Daniela Vukadinovic (AUB) 9-8 (7-5)
3) Caroline Thornton/Paulina Schippers (AUB) def. Maria Vallasciani/Magali Holt (FIU) 8-1
1) Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Fani Chifchieva (AUB) 6-1, 6-2
2) Katie Rybakova (FSU) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AUB) 6-1, 6-1
3) Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Caroline Thornton (AUB) 6-2, 6-4
4) Jessica Sucupira (FSU) def. Daniela Vukudinovic (AUB) 6-4, 6-3
5) Federica Suess (FSU) def. Paulina Schippers (AUB) 5-7, 6-0, 6-0
6) Plamena Kurteva (AUB) def. Bonny Davidson (FSU) 5-2 [DEF]