May 10, 2008
- The No. 29 Auburn women's tennis team fell 4-0 to the No. 6 Florida Gators in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Marrit Boonstra captured the first singles point for Florida when she defeated Auburn's Jil Hastenrath 6-0, 6-1. Whitney Chappell fell to Whitney Benik of Florida shortly after, 6-3, 6-0.
Anastasia Revzina clinched the second round win for the Gators with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Dunja Djuranovic in the six spot.
The Tigers lost a tough doubles point to the Gators, but Alex Haney and Melissa Koning came away with a win defeating Boonstra and Megan Alexander 8-4.
Although the team is out of the tournament, three Tigers will continue on in the individual championships in Tulsa, Okla., beginning May 15.
Fani Chifchieva will represent Auburn in the singles bracket as a seeded player. Haney and Koning will represent Auburn in the doubles bracket.
1. #14 Fani Chifchieva (AU) vs. #29 Julia Cohen (UF) DNF
2. #71 Alex Haney (AU) vs. #33 Csilla Borsayani DNF
3. Melissa Koning (AU) vs. #116 Megan Alexander (UF) DNF
4. Whitney Benik (UF) def. Whitney Chappell (AU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Marrit Boonstra (UF) def. Jil Hastentrath (AU) 6-0. 6-1
6. #96 Anastasia Revzina (UF) def. Duja Djuranovic (AU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6
1. #14 Haney/Koning (AU) def. #8 Boonstra/Alexander (UF) 8-4
2. Benik/Borsayani (UF) def. Chappell/Chifchieva (AU) 8-2
3. Cohen/Revzina (UF) def. Djuranovic/hastenrath (AU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1