May 9, 2009
GAINESVILLE, Fla - The No. 33 Auburn women's tennis team (11-13, 3-7 SEC) fell, 4-0, to the No. 18 Florida State Seminoles (17-7, 7-4 ACC) Saturday morning in NCAA Championship first round action at the Alfred A. Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla. The NCAA berth was the sixth overall for Auburn, and the third consecutive invite for head coach Tim Gray, who is in only his fourth year on the Plains.
The Seminoles took the doubles point with wins from the twos and threes, leaving the No. 1 doubles match unfinished. The No. 3 matchup between Auburn's Fani Chifchieva and Taylor Schreimann and Florida State's Lauren Macfarlane concluded first with an, 8-1, Seminole advantage.
Tigers Myrthe Molenveld and Daniella Vukadinovic fell to Jessica Sucupira and Bonny Davidson in the No. 2 matchup, 8-2.
"We thought our chances were good, but we came out slow in doubles and they were able to capitalize on the momentum," said Gray. "I thought we were able to neutralize things a little bit early on in singles, but Florida State did a good job of managing the momentum."
Florida State clinched the matchup with three consecutive wins in singles play, advancing to the second round of NCAAs for a meeting with host Florida, who knocked out the College of Charleston with a first round score of 4-1.
"We've only been to the NCAA Tournament six times as a program, but three times since I've been here," said Gray. "I definitely think we are headed in the right direction and I am proud of the direction that our program is going in. We've got a good recruiting class coming in next year. I really think our kids are starting to turn the corner."
For more information on the 2009 NCAA Tournament, check in at www.AuburnTigers.com and www.GatorZone.com.
Florida State 4, Auburn 0
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 2)
1. Frederica Suess/Katie Rybakova (FSU) vs. Whitney Chappell/Alex Haney (AU) - 7-5, DNF
2. Jessica Sucupira/Bonny Davidson (FSU) vs Myrthe Molenveld/Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) - 8-2 (51 min.)
3. Lauren Macfarlane/Noemie Scharle (FSU) vs. Fani Chifchieva/Tayler Schreimann (AU) - 8-1 (34 min.)
Singles (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 4)
1. Katie Rybakova (FSU) vs. Fani Chifchieva (AU) - 6-2, 6-4 (1:35)
2. Noemie Scharle (FSU) vs. Alex Haney (AU) - 6-3, 4-6, 3-2, DNF
3. Lauren Macfarlane (FSU) vs. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) - 6-2, 6-3 (1:30)
4. Frederica Suess (FSU) vs. Whitney Chappell (AU) - 6-4, 6-2 (1:40)
5. Ania Rynarzewska (FSU) vs. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) - 6-4, 5-3 (DNF)
6. Jessica Sucupira (FSU) vs. Jil Hastenrath (AU) - 6-1, 3-1 (DNF)