April 23, 2009
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The ninth-seeded Auburn women's tennis team fell to eighth-seeded Alabama 4-0 Thursday morning in the first round of the Southeastern Conference Tournament at the Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark. With the loss, the Tigers slip to 11-12, 3-7 SEC and exit the tournament.
"The conditions today made it very difficult for both teams, the wind was really brutal," head women's tennis coach Tim Gray said. "I felt like Alabama did a much better job of managing the conditions and certainly played with more focus and purpose. We played well and fought hard at certain positions, however, we did not get a great effort at every position and that was the difference today."
The Alabama doubles teams on courts two and three secured the point for the Tide. Shelley Godwin and Paulina Bigos defeated Auburn's Daniela Vukadinovic and Myrthe Molenveld 8-3 in the No. 2 position. The Tiger team of Whitney Chappell and Taylor Schreimann fell to Alice Tunaru and Tiffany Welcher by a score of 8-2. Play was halted between Fani Chifchieva and Alex Haney and Alabama's No. 59 duo of Taylor Lindsey and Courtney McLane.
Moving into singles action, Auburn was unable to pick up momentum, suffering losses at the Nos. 2, 3 and 6 spots to clinch the match in Alabama's favor. The Tide's Shelley Goodwin beat Auburn junior Heather Bybee, 6-2, 6-1. Courtney McLane scored a 6-2, 6-4 upset of the Tigers' 26th-ranked Alex Haney and Paulina Bigos ended the match on a 6-2, 6-4 win over Whitney Chappell.
Auburn will now wait to hear the NCAA women's tennis team selection announcement on April 28. The selection announcement will air on ESPNews at 4:20 p.m. A list of individuals selected to for the singles and doubles championships will be posted on www.NCAA.com on April 29.
Alabama 4, Auburn 0
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 2)
1. #59 Taylor Lindsey/Courtney McLane (UA) vs. Fani Chifchieva/Alex Haney (AU), 7-4, DNF
2. Shelley Godwin/Paulina Bigos (UA) def. Daniela Vukadinovic/Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 8-3
3. Alice Tunaru/Tiffany Welcher (UA) def. Whitney Chappell/Taylor Schreimann (AU), 8-2
Singles (order of finish: 6, 2, 3)
1. #6 Fani Chifchieva (AU) vs. #79 Tiffany Welcher (UA), 4-6, 7-5, 2-0 DNF
2. Courtney McLane (UA) def. #26 Alex Haney (AU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Paulina Bigos (UA) def. Whitney Chappell (AU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Meritt Emery (UA) vs. Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 6-4, 2-1 DNF
5. Taylor Lindsey (UA) vs. Jil Hastenrath (AU), 7-5, 2-0 DNF
6. Shelley Goodwin (UA) def. Heather Bybee (AU), 6-2, 6-1