April 21, 2011
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Auburn women's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 21 Arkansas in the first round of the Southeastern Conference Tournament on Thursday in Knoxville, Tenn. The Tigers finish the season with a 5-18 record, 1-10 in SEC play.
"We fought harder than we have the entire year," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "This type of effort is what we need to carry into next year and build on."
In doubles action, the Razorbacks took the early lead by winning on two courts to steal the doubles point. On court one, Auburn's Plamena Kurterva and Jacquline Kasler fell to the Razorbacks' Anouk Tigu and Claudine Paulson, who are ranked 19th in the nation, 8-3. In the No. 2 matchup Arkansas' Stephanie Roy and Kate Lukomskaya narrowly defeated the Tigers' Caroline Thornton and Paulina Schippers, 8-4, to clinch the doubles point.
When doubles play was suspended, Auburn's Maria Arechavaleta and Taylor Scheimann were even with Arkansas' Valentina Starkova and Jade Frampton, 6-6.
In singles, Arkansas clinched the match by winning on three courts. On court five, Arkansas' Emily Carbone defeated Auburn's Arechavaleta, 6-0, 6-4. On court six Auburn's Shreimann fell to the Razorbacks' Frampton, 7-6, 6-0. In the No. 1 match up, No. 29 Tigu of Arkansas won out against the Tigers' Thornton 6-4, 6-2, to secure the win for the Razorbacks.
Play was suspended once the match was decided. On court two, the Tigers' Schippers was ahead against Arkansas' Roy, 2-6, 6-1, 2-0. In the No. 3 matchup, Auburn's Kurteva was winning against the Razorbacks' Paulson 6-3, 1-6, 3-2. On court four, Auburn's Kasler was tied at one set each against Arkansas' Lukomskaya, 4-6, 6-1.
#21 Arkansas 4, Auburn 0
1. #29 Anouk Tigu (ARK) def. Caroline Thornton (AUB) 6-4, 6-2
2. Stephanie Roy (ARK) vs. Paulina Schippers (AUB) 2-6, 6-1, 2-0, unfinished
3. Claudine Paulson (ARK) vs. Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 3-6, 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
4. Kate Lukomskaya (ARK) vs. Jacqueline Kasler (AUB) 6-4, 1-6, 0-0, unfinished
5. Emily Carbone (ARK) def. Maria Arechavaleta (AUB) 6-0, 6-4
6. Jade Frampton (ARK) def. Taylor Schreimann (AUB) 7-6, 6-0
1. #19 Anouk Tigu/Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Plamena Kurteva/Jacqueline Kasler (AUB) 8-3
2. Stephanie Roy/Kate Lukomskaya (ARK) def. Caroline Thornton/Paulina Schippers (AUB) 8-4
3. Valentina Starkova/Jade Frampton (ARK) vs. Maria Arechavaleta/Taylor Schreimann (AUB) 6-6, unfinished
Auburn 5-17, 1-10 Arkansas 16-8, 6-5; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,6,1)