April 18, 2009
- The No. 31 Auburn women's tennis team closed out regular season action Saturday evening, suffering a 4-3 setback to No. 26 Alabama at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. The Tigers are now 11-11, 3-7 SEC, while the Tide move to 14-7, 4-7 SEC.
The No. 21 senior duo of Alex Haney and Whitney Chappell picked up their 10th win of the season with an 8-2 showing against Alabama's Taylor Lindsey and Courtney McLane. Auburn's two other doubles teams were unable to come out with a victory, giving the Tide the doubles point.
After falling in the No. 5 singles slot, seventh-ranked Fani Chifchieva got Auburn on the board with a 6-4, 6-3 win over No. 83 Tiffany Welcher in the No. 1 singles spot. The All-American improves to 14-6, 7-3 SEC in her junior campaign.
Alabama claimed victory on court three and clinched the match with Shelley Goodwin's 6-2, 6-4 win over Auburn's Jil Hastenrath.
Despite the match already being decided, the Tigers rallied to win the final two singles matches. Myrthe Molenveld registered a 6-2, 3-6, 2-1 win in the No. 4 spot. Haney, ranked 24th in singles play, closed out the evening's action with a three-set 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 comeback victory.
As Auburn's No. 2 singles player, Haney has won 10 straight matches and has a record of 17-2, 9-1 SEC.
The Tigers will move into the postseason with the SEC Tournament on April 23-26 at the Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark.
Auburn will be seeded eighth and is set to have a rematch with the Tide, seeded ninth, at 8:30 a.m. on April 23.
Alabama 4, Auburn 3
1. #7 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. #83 Tiffany Welcher (UA), 6-4, 6-3
2. #24 Alex Haney (AU) def. #122 Courtney McLane (UA), 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3. Paulina Bigos (UA) def. Whitney Chappell (AU), 7-6, 6-1
4. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Meritt Emery (UA), 6-2, 3-6, 2-1
5. Taylor Lindsey (UA) def. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU), 6-1, 6-3
6. Shelley Goodwin (UA) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 6, 4, 2
1. #21 Whitney Chappell/Alex Haney (AU) def. Taylor Lindsey/Courtney McLane (UA), 8-2
2. Shelley Godwin/Paulina Bigos (UA) def. Daniela Vukadinovic/Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 9-8
3. Alice Tunaru/Tiffany Welcher (UA) def. Fani Chifchieva/Taylor Schreimann (AU), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2