April 18, 2008
Auburn, Ala. -
The quarterfinal round of the Southeastern Conference Women's Tennis Championship concluded with Arkansas, Florida, Georgia and Vanderbilt moving into the semifinal round oof competition.
The Bulldogs won the first match, defeating the Kentucky Wildcats 4-1. Arkansas took the second, topping LSU 4-0. Vanderbilt won its spot defeating Tennessee 4-0. Florida was the final win of the day when they defeated Auburn 4-0.
Semifinal competition will begin at 10 a.m., Saturday when Arkansas takes on Georgia at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Vanderbilt will face Florida at 2 p.m.
Georgia 4 Kentucky 1
The Georgia Bulldogs defeated the Kentucky Wildcats when Kelley Hyndman clinched the match defeating Carolina Escamilla in two sets 6-4, 6-3.
"Kentucky played a hard fought match today," said Georgia coach Jeff Wallace. "The doubles point was vital to our success today. The Singles were very contested. Everyone worked hard and pulled us through."
Also picking up wins for the Bulldogs were Cameron Ellis and Naoko Ueshima. Ellis prevailed 6-4, 6-4 on court five. Ueshima won 6-4, 6-4 in the four spot.
Whitney Spencer picked up the point for the Cats defeating Adrienne Ellis 6-2, 6-2.
The Bulldogs got an early jump on the Wildcats with two 8-4 victories in the doubles. Ueshima and Ellis clinched the point for Georgia when they defeated Megan Broderick and Alaina Trgovich on court two.
The Dogs will take on the Arkansas Razorbacks at 10 a.m., Saturday in semifinals.
1. #42 Yvette Hyndman (UGA) vs. #102 Megan Broderick (UK) DNF
2. #76 Kelley Hyndman (UGA) def. Carolina Escamilla (UK) 6-4, 6-3
3. #91 Monika Dancevic (UGA) vs. Christine Johnston (UK) DNF
4. #109 Naoko Ueshima (UGA) vs. Alaina Trgovich (UK) 6-4, 6-4
5. Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Lauren Meier (UK) 6-4, 6-4
6. Whitney Spencer (UK) def. Adrienne Elsberry (UGA) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4, 2
1. #42 K. Hyndman/Y. Hyndman (UGA) vs. Escamilla/Johnston (UK) DNF
2. Ueshima/Ellis (UGA) def. Broderick/Trgovich (UK) 8-4
3. Dancevic/Elsberry (UGA) def. Meier/Spencer (UK) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Arkansas vs. LSU
The Arkansas Razorbacks defeated the LSU Tigers 4-0 in the quarterfinal round of the SEC Women's Tennis Championship Friday.
Arkansas' Anouk Tigu clinched the match for the Hogs when she defeated Hannah Robinson of LSU 6-1, 7-5 on court three.
"We played them four days ago and took a difficult loss," said Arkansas head coach Michael Hegarty. " It could have gone either way. We felt like we had an opportunity today and that was important to come out today and take a win.
Arkansas' Nanar Airapetian and Aurelija Miseviciute also picked up singles points for the team. Airapetian and doubles partner Maryor Franco clinched the doubles point for the Razorbacks.
Arkansas will take on Georgia in the quarterfinals on Saturday at 10 a.m., at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"Georgia is one of the great teams in the country," Hegarty said. "It will be an incredible challenge, but we feel like we will be ready for it."
1. #2 Aurelija Miseviciute (Ark) def. #12 Megan Falcon (LSU) 6-4, 6-1
2. #69 Ela Kaluder (Ark) vs. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) DNF
3. Anouk Tigu (Ark) def. Hannah Robinson (LSU) 6-1, 7-5
4. Maryori Franco (Ark) vs. Nicole Kantor (LSU) DNF
5. Nanar Airapetian (Ark) def. Tiffany Tucker (LSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Audrey Bordeleau (Ark) vs. Staten Spencer (LSU) DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 3
1. #30 Miseviciute/Kaluder (Ark) vs. #22 Falcon/Hedberg (LSU) DNF
2. Airapetian/Franco (Ark) def. Tucker/Robinson (LSU) 8-1
3. Bordeleau/Tigu (Ark) def. Adamek/Kantor (LSU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Vanderbilt 4 Tennessee 0
The Vanderbilt Commodores defeated the Tennessee Volunteers 4-0 Friday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"The doubles today were really close," said Vanderbilt head coach Geoff MacDonald. "We were lucky to get that. Once we got the doubles point we rolled right on through the rest. I was really proud of our two senior today. They did a great job of getting up early and not letting Tennessee get any momentum. Tomorrow we need to look up and carry through."
Courtney Ulery clinched the match for Vanderbilt defeating Connor Vogel 6-0, 6-1. Amanda Taylor also picked up a point for the Commodores. Caroline Ferrell picked up a win by default when Tennessee's Cailtlin Whorisky retired.
Vanderbilt's Taylor and Courtney Ulery won the first doubles match 9-7, but Tennessee's Rosalia Alda and Ghizela Schutte won 8-4 on court two. However, Taka Bertrand and Keilly Ulery clinched the doubles point for Vandy with a 9-8 win on court three.
The Commodores will take on the Florida Gators at 2 p.m., Saturday in the semifinal round of the tournament.
1. #23 Amanda Taylor (VU) def. Ghizela Schutte (UT) 6-0, 6-0
2. #46 Catherine Newman (VU) def. Samantha Orlin (UT) 6-1, 6-4
3. #118 Taka Bertrand (VU) vs. Zsofia Zubor (UT) DNF
4. #62 Courtney Ulery (VU) vs. Connor Vogel (UT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Keilly Ulery (VU) vs. Connor Vogel (UT) DNF
6. Caroline Ferrell (VU) vs. No Player (UT) - Won by default
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 4
1. Taylor/ C. Ulery (VU) def. #13 Whoriskey/Zubor (UT) 9-7
2. Alda/Schutte (UT) def. Ferrell/Newman (VU) 8-4
3. Bertrand/ K. Ulery (UT) def. Vogel/Meredith (UT) 9-8
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Auburn 0 Florida 4
The Florida Gator's defeated the Auburn Tigers 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the SEC Women's Tennis Tournament.
"We played a great match today," said Florida head coach Roland Thornqvist. "It was great being able to play a team like Auburn in the quarterfinals. They are led by the SEC player of the year. I think our team play tremendously well."
Anastasia Revzina clinched the match for the Gatos with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Jil Hastenrath in the number five singles spot. Whitney Benik and Lolita Frangulyan also notched wins for the Gators.
The Gators pulled ahead of the Tigers early winning the doubles point. Csilla Borsyani and Benik clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win.
The Gators will face the Vanderbilt Commodores at 2 p.m., on Saturday in the semifinal round of the tournament.
1. #15 Fani Chifchieva (AU) vs. #27 Julia Cohen (UF)DNF
2. #66 Alex Haney (AU) vs. #33 Csilla Borsayani (UF) DNF
3. Whitney Benik (UF) def. Melissa Koning (AU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Whitney Chappell (AU) vs. Marrit Boonstra (UF) DNF
5. #110 Anastasia Revzina (UF) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU) vs. 6-3, 6-2
6. Lolita Frangulyan (UF) def. Dunja Djuranovic (AU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5
1. #6 Boonstra/Alexander (UF) vs. #15 Haney/Koning (AU) DNF
2. Borsayani/Benik (UF) def. Chifchieva/Chappell (AU) 8-5
3. Cohen/Revzina (UF) def. Hastenrath/Beelen (AU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 3, 2