April 16, 2011
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The Auburn women's tennis team concluded the regular season Saturday as the Tigers (5-17, 1-10 SEC) dropped a 7-0 decision at Alabama.
In doubles action The Crimson Tide took the early lead winning on all three courts. On court three, No. 80 Antonia Foeshe and Mary Anne Macfarlane of Alabama defeated Auburn's Taylor Schreimann and Taylor Cohen, 8-0. In the No. 1 matchup, the Tigers' Plamena Kurteva and Jacquline Kasler were defeated by the Tide's No.10-ranked doubles team of Alexa Guarachi and Courtney McLane to clinch the doubles point.
Auburn continued to struggle in singles. On court six, Auburn's Schreimann lost out against the Tide's Meritt Emery, 6-1, 6-3. In the No. 4 matchup, Clay of Alabama beat the Tigers' Kasler, 6-3, 7-5. On court four, the Tigers' Schippers was beat out by the tide's No. 113 Alexa Gaurachi, 6-3, 6-3, to secure the match.
On court three, Alabama's McLane defeated the Tigers' Kurteva, 6-2, 6-1. In the No. 1 matchup, Auburn's Thornton was edged out by No. 33-ranked Macfarlane, 6-2, 7-5. To finish the match, Alabama's Foeshe defeated Auburn's Maria Arechavleta, 6-1, 6-3, on court five.
The Tigers will return to action April 21 at the SEC Tournament. Auburn will be the No. 11 seed and will face No. 6 seed Arkansas on Thursday, April 21 at 3 p.m. CT. Fans can follow live stats at AuburnTigers.com
1. No. 10 Guarachi/McLane (UA) def. Kurteva/Kasler (AU) 8-2
2. Clay/Lindsey (UA) def. Thornton/Schippers (AU) 8-3
3. No. 80 Foehse/Macfarlane (UA) def. Schreimann/Cohen (AU) 8-0
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. No. 33 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-2, 7-5
2. No. 113 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Courtney McLane (UA) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alex Clay (UA) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Maria Arechavaleta (AU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Meritt Emery (UA) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 6,4,2*,3,1,5