AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 20 Auburn women's tennis team finished the regular season on a high note on Sunday, defeating No. 39 LSU 4-2 at the Yarbrough Tennis Center for its 20th win on the season.
Doubles competition came down to the final court. Auburn started off with the advantage as Jaeda Daniel and Madeline Meredith improved to 11-3 together on the season and won the first set by a walkover on court three.
That didn't effect LSU, however, as the No. 41 tandem of Eden Richardson and Jessica Golovin won their set 6-2 over Auburn's Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo on court one. LSU followed that by clinching the doubles point with a 7-5 win from Luba Vasilyuk and Kennan Johnson over Auburn's Andie Dikosavljevic and Alannah Griffin on court two.
In singles, Auburn came out firing. Auburn started off tied at one as Caroline Turner earned a walkover win on court six. Georgie Axon then started the roll for Auburn as she played a perfect match, sweeping LSU's Ashton Rabalais 6-0, 6-0 on court five.
Soon after, fellow sophomore Taylor Russo almost matched Axon's sweep, defeating LSU's Luba Vasilyuk 6-1, 6-0 on court four. That win was Russo's fourth straight, moving her to 12-8 on the season.
LSU didn't go down without a fight though, as No. 116 Eden Richardson defeated Auburn's No. 47 Jaeda Daniel 6-4, 6-2 on court one. That win proved to be too little, too late for LSU as Auburn later clinched the match with a 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 win from freshman Madeline Meredith over LSU's Kennan Johnson on court three. That win also gave Meredith a 16-6 mark in singles for her first collegiate regular season.
Auburn finishes the regular season with a record of 20-9 and 8-5 in SEC play. This is now the third straight season coach Spencer has led Auburn to at least 20 wins in a season. The Tigers' next action will be in the SEC Tournament, which will be hosted on Wednesday, April 18, through Monday, April 23, in Knoxville, Tenn.
#20 Auburn 4, #39 LSU 2
1. #116 Eden Richardson (LSU) def. #47 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) 6-4, 6-2
2. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) vs. #71 Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-2, 5-7, 4-3, unfinished
3. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Kennan Johnson (LSU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
4. Taylor Russo (AUBURN) def. Luba Vasilyuk (LSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Georgie Axon (AUBURN) def. Ashton Rabalais (LSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Caroline Turner (AUBURN) wins by walkover
1. #41 Eden Richardson/Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo (AUBURN) 6-2
2. Luba Vasilyuk/Kennan Johnson (LSU) def. Andie Dikosavljevic/Alannah Griffin (AUBURN) 7-5
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) win by walkover
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,1,3)