April 11, 2010
AUBURN- The No. 57 Auburn women's tennis team snapped a three match SEC losing streak as the Tigers (9-9, 3-7) defeated the No. 66 Mississippi State Bulldogs (9-10, 1-8) 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. Auburn won eight of nine matches in the victory, including all three doubles matches.
"We put forth a good effort today," said head coach Tim Gray. "I was a little disappointed in how we came out in doubles. We started out with good energy but we got a little relaxed and too comfortable and we dug ourselves a little bit of a hole, but we rallied back to get the doubles point."
The afternoon began with seniors Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath defeating Natalia Mayuk and Olesya Tsigintseva of Mississippi State, 8-1 at No. 2 doubles. The Tigers secured the doubles point for the second time on the weekend, as senior Myrthe Molenveld and freshman Paulina Schippers defeated Radka Fernacova and Danielle Terpko in a close match, 9-7 at No. 1.
In third-flight doubles, the freshman pair of Caroline Thornton and Plamena Kurteva were given everything they could handle by Mississippi State's Valeriya Makarycheva and Mariia Ryzhova, but won the tiebreaker and took the match 9-8 (7-2).
Auburn won five of six singles matches, beginning with Schippers in the No. 6 slot defeating Terpko 6-0, 6-1. In first-flight action, No. 54 Chifchieva defeated Tsigintseva 6-2, 6-0, and Molvenveld followed with a victory over Mayuk, 6-0, 6-3.
Auburn's final two victories of the day came at No. 5 as Hastenrath bested Makarycheva 6-1, 6-3, and sophomore Daniela Vukadinovic defeated Fernacova 6-3, 6-0.
"We had a good talk before the singles and everyone came out fired up and took care of business. It was a win that we needed. Mississippi State is a solid team and they fought hard, but we were able to break their spirit today and came away with the win," said Gray.
Auburn returns to action Saturday, April 17 6 p.m. as the Tigers host the Alabama Crimson Tide. The match, part of Auburn's A-Day festivities, will be held at the City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. Live stats will be available via AuburnTigers.com. Admission is free to all women's tennis matches.
#57 Auburn 6, #66 Mississippi St. 1
Singles competition 1. Fani Chifchieva (AU-W) def. Olesya Tsigintseva (MISSST) 6-2, 6-0
2. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU-W) def. Radka Fernacova (MISSST) 6-3, 6-0
3. Myrthe Molenveld (AU-W) def. Natalia Mayuk (MISSST) 6-0, 6-1
4. Mariia Ryzhova (MISSST) def. Caroline Thornton (AU-W) 6-3, 6-0
5. Jil Hastenrath (AU-W) def. Valeriya Makarycheva (MISSST) 6-1, 6-3
6. Paulina Schippers (AU-W) def. Danielle Terpko (MISSST) 6-0, 6-1
1. Myrthe Molenveld/Paulina Schippers (AU-W) def. Radka Fernacova/Danielle Terpko (MISSST) 9-7
2. Fani Chifchieva/Jil Hastenrath (AU-W) def. Natalia Mayuk/Olesya Tsigintseva (MISSST) 8-1
3. Caroline Thornton/Plamena Kurteva (AU-W) def. Valeriya Makarycheva/Mariia Ryzhova (MISSST) 9-8 (7-2)