April 11, 2006
MOBILE, Ala. - Alex Haney and Whitney Chappell won the No. 1 and No. 2 singles matches against No. 58 South Alabama, but it was not enough to carry the Auburn women's tennis team past the Lady Jags, who downed the Tigers, 5-2, on Tuesday.
Playing its final road match of the regular season, Auburn (5-16, 0-10 Southeastern Conference) dropped four singles matches and the doubles point, as South Alabama (12-7, 4-0 Sun Belt Conference) won its second match in a row.
Haney's victory in the No. 1 singles match was her third over a ranked opponent this spring, as she topped 91st-ranked Adrianna Solarova, 6-4, 1-6, 6-2. Haney's victory was her seventh in her last nine matches and snapped Solarova eight-match win streak.
With her win in the No. 2 singles match, Chappell snapped her seven-match losing skid, as she knocked off Jelena Krivacevic, 7-6, 6-2. Prior to Chappell's recent losing streak, she has won three matches in a row.
Unfortunately, the Tigers dropped the four other singles matches to South Alabama. The closest of the matches was in the No. 3 position, where Irina Pljusznyin lost her second straight match in a three-set tiebreaker. The Lady Jags' Maria Zivcicova held on to defeat Pljusznyin, 6-1, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6).
In the No. 4 match, Maria Babicova got past the Tigers' Ashley Cowart, 6-3, 6-1. At the No. 5 position, Dzeljan Memisi lost to South Alabama's Dijana Stanic, 6-1, 6-2. Playing in her hometown of Mobile, senior Erin Gray was unable to get a victory in front of her hometown, as Sylvanie Spanenberg topped Gray, 6-1, 6-2.
South Alabama opened the match by taking the doubles point with victories in all three doubles matches. In the No. 1 match, Ashley Cowart and Alex Haney were defeated by the Lady Jags' Klara Jarova and Adrianna Solarova, 8-4. At the No. 2 position, Sylvanie Spanenberg and Maria Zivcicova of South Alabama got past Dzeljan Memisi and Irina Pljusznyin, 8-1. In the No. 3 match the Tigers' duo of Whitney Chappell and Erin Gray fell, 8-1, to Dijana Stanic and Michaela Babicova of South Alabama. Auburn returns to the courts on Tuesday, when the Tigers travel to Mobile, Ala., to face South Alabama at 1 p.m.
Women's Collegiate Tennis
No. 58 South Alabama 5 Auburn 2
April 11, 2006
1. Alex Haney (AU) def. No. 91 Adrianna Solarova (USAW) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
2. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Jelena Krivacevic (USAW) 7-6, 6-2
3. Maria Zivcicova (USAW) def. Irina Pljusznyin (AU) 6-1, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Michaela Babicova (USAW) def. Ashley Cowart (AU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Dijana Stanic (USAW) def. Dzeljan Memisi (AU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Sylvanie Spanenberg (USAW) def. Erin Gray (AU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: (6, 5, 4, 1, 3, 2)
1. Klara Jarova/Adrianna Solarova (USA) def. Ashley Cowart/Alex Haney (AU) 8-4
2. Sylvanie Spanenberg/Maria Zivcicova (USAW) def. Dzeljan Memisi/Irina Pljusznyin (AU) 8-1
3. Dijana Stanic/Michaela Babicova (USAW) def. Whitney Chappell/Erin Gray (AU) 8-2
Order of finish: (3,1,2)