April 10, 2011
OXFORD, Miss. - The Auburn women's tennis team took dropped a 4-0 decision Sunday at Ole Miss. With the loss, the Tigers fall to 5-16 (1-9 SEC) on the season and will wrap up regular-season play Saturday at Alabama.
"We had a good effort today, we just didn't convert any opportunities," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "That makes all the difference - having the courage and the poise to execute under pressure."
In doubles, Ole Miss took the point with victories in all three matches. In the No. 1 matchup, Auburn's Plamena Kurteva and Jacquline Kasler fell to Ole Miss' No. 23 Kristi Boxx and Abby Guthrie, 8-4. Auburn did not field a third doubles team, securing the doubles point for the Rebels.
On court two, the Rebels' Caroline Rohde-Moe and Laura van de Stroet were ahead of the Tigers' Caroline Thornton and Pailina Schippers, 7-2, before play was suspended.
In singles, Ole Miss won on three courts to secure the overall win. On court six, Ole Miss' Vivian Vlaar won out against Auburn's Taylor Cohen, 6-2, 6-1. On court five the Tigers' Maria Arechavaleta fell to Ole Miss' Guthrie, 6-1, 6-3. In the No. 1 match, Auburn's Thornton lost to Ole Miss Boxx, who is currently ranked 22nd in the nation, to secure the win for the Rebels.
Play was suspended after the match was decided. On court two, the Rebels' No. 112 Conner Vogel was ahead of Auburn's Schippers, 6-4, 3-1. On court three Ole Miss' Rohde-Moe was ahead of the Tigers' Kurteva 7-6 (1), 2-3. On court four, the Auburn's Kalser was trailing Ole Miss' Van De Stroet, 7-6 (3), 3-2
Auburn will close out the regular season Saturday against Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The match is set to begin at 5 p.m., and fans can follow live stats at AuburnTigers.com.
Against Ole Miss
1. Boxx-Guthrie (OM) def. Kurteva-Kasler (AU) 8-4
2. Rohde-Moe-Van De Stroet (OM) vs. Thornton-Schippers (AU) 7-2, sus.
3. Ole Miss won by default
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Kristi Boxx (OM) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Connor Vogel (OM) vs. Pauline Schippers (AU) 6-4, 3-1, sus.
3. Caroline Rohde-Moe (OM) vs. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 7-6(1), 2-3, sus.
4. Laura Van De Stroet (OM) vs. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 7-6(1), 3-2, sus.
5. Abby Guthrie (OM) def. Maria Arechavaleta (AU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Vivian Vlaar (OM) def. Taylor Cohen (AU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1