April 8, 2012
AUBURN – No. 63 Auburn women’s tennis closed out a tough two-match road trip weekend with a 6-1 loss at No. 3 Georgia on Sunday afternoon in SEC action.
“We played with good energy today and put together some good teams,” Auburn coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner said. “But in the end, Georgia is a tough team and they were too much for us today.”
On court five, Olivia Bennett improved to 11-3, 6-3 in the SEC. The sophomore from Trinidad and Tobago earned a straight-set, ranked win over No. 8 Kate Fuller 7-6 (7-4), 6-4. The victory is her third ranked win of the season and her third in the last four matches.
Paulina Shippers suffered a hard-fought loss at the fourth line to Lilly Kimbell. After dropping the first set 1-6, Schippers battled back with a 6-4 victory in the second set. In the decisive third set, the junior from Guatemala then fell 10-8 in the super tiebreaker.
Georgia earned the doubles point with wins in all three matches, then secured the match victory with individual wins at Nos. 1, 6 and 2.
Auburn closes out the regular season on April 14 at home against Alabama. The match is set to begin at 5 p.m.
#5 Georgia 6, #63 Auburn 1
1. #8 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. #118 Jen Pfeifler (AUB) 6-2, 6-0
2. Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 6-2, 6-0
3. #50 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AUB) 6-0, 6-2
4. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Paulina Schippers (AUB) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Olivia Bennett (AUB) def. #80 Kate Fuller (UGA) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Alina Jerjomina (UGA) def. Taylor Schreimann (AUB) 6-2, 6-2
1. Chelsey Gullickson/Alina Jerjomina (UGA) def. #36 Jen Pfeifler/Paulina Schippers (AUB) 8-5
2. Nadja Gilchrist/Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Olivia Bennett/Plamena Kurteva (AUB) 8-5
3. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Jacqueline Kasler/Taylor Schreimann (AUB) 8-4
Auburn 8-10, 3-6 SEC; National ranking #63
Georgia 18-3, 8-2 SEC; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,6,2,3,4,5)