April 3, 2011
AUBURN - In its final home match of the season, the Auburn women's tennis team (4-13, 0-8 SEC) fell to 15th-ranked Arkansas (14-7, 4-4 SEC), 6-1, at the Yarbrough Tennis Center in Auburn, Ala.
In doubles action, the Tigers came out strong but dropped the point. On court one, Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Olivia Bennett fell 8-3 to Arkansas' Claudine Paulson and Anouk Tigu, the 24th-ranked doubles team in the nation. In the No. 3 match up, the Razorbacks' Valentina Starkova and Emily Carbone defeated Auburn's Caroline Thornton and Taylor Cohen 8-4 to clinch the doubles point.
On court two, Arkansas' Kate Lukomskaya and Stephanie Roy defeated the Tigers' Jacquline Kasler and Plamena Kurteva, 8-5.
In singles, Arkansas won on five of six courts. On court six, Auburn freshman Taylor Cohen fell to Arkansas' Valentina Starkova, 6-1, 6-3. In the No. 1 match up, Arkansas' Tigu defeated Auburn's Schippers, 6-1, 6-2. On court five the Tiger's Kalser dropped her match to Arkansas' Emily Carbone, 6-4, 6-1, to clinch the match for Arkansas.
In the No. 2 match, the Tigers' Thornton fell to Arkansas' Roy, 6-2, 6-4. On court four the Razorbacks' Paulson was over-matched by Auburn's Kuteva, 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6). To end the match, the Tigers' Bennett fell to Arkansas' Lukomskaya, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8).
The Tigers return to action Friday with a road match against Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss. Live stats can be followed at AuburnTigers.com.
Arkansas 6, Auburn 1
1. #27 Anouk Tigu (ARK) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Stephanie Roy (ARK) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Kate Lukomskaya (ARK) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-2, 2-5, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Claudine Paulson (ARK) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Emily Carbone (ARK) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Valentina Starkova (ARK) def. Taylor Cohen (AU) 6-1, 6-3
1. #24 Claudine Paulson/Anouk Tigu (ARK) def. Olivia Bennett/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-3
2. Kate Lukomskaya/Stephanie Roy (ARK) def. Jacqueline Kasler/Plamena Kurteva (AU) 8-5
3. Valentina Starkova/Emily Carbone (ARK) def. Caroline Thornton/Taylor Cohen (AU) 8-4
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,5,2,4,3)