April 3, 2011
AUBURN - In its final home match of the season, the Auburn women's tennis team (4-13, 0-8 SEC) fell to 15th-ranked Arkansas (14-7, 4-4 SEC), 6-1, at the Yarbrough Tennis Center in Auburn, Ala.
"We came out with less energy then we needed today and let them off the hook," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "I am really proud of Plamena Kurteva, she got a good win."
In doubles action, the Tigers came out strong but dropped the point. On court one, Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Olivia Bennett fell 8-3 to Arkansas' Claudine Paulson and Anouk Tigu, the 24th-ranked doubles team in the nation. In the No. 3 match up, the Razorbacks' Valentina Starkova and Emily Carbone defeated Auburn's Caroline Thornton and Taylor Cohen 8-4 to clinch the doubles point.
On court two, Arkansas' Kate Lukomskaya and Stephanie Roy defeated the Tigers' Jacquline Kasler and Plamena Kurteva, 8-5.
In singles, Arkansas won on five of six courts. On court six, Auburn freshman Taylor Cohen fell to Arkansas' Valentina Starkova, 6-1, 6-3. In the No. 1 match up, Arkansas' Tigu defeated Auburn's Schippers, 6-1, 6-2. On court five the Tiger's Kalser dropped her match to Arkansas' Emily Carbone, 6-4, 6-1, to clinch the match for Arkansas.
In the No. 2 match, the Tigers' Thornton fell to Arkansas' Roy, 6-2, 6-4. On court four the Razorbacks' Paulson was over-matched by Auburn's Kuteva, 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6). To end the match, the Tigers' Bennett fell to Arkansas' Lukomskaya, 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8).
The Tigers return to action Friday with a road match against Mississippi State in Starkville, Miss. Live stats can be followed at AuburnTigers.com.
Arkansas 6, Auburn 1
1. #27 Anouk Tigu (ARK) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Stephanie Roy (ARK) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Kate Lukomskaya (ARK) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-2, 2-5, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Claudine Paulson (ARK) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Emily Carbone (ARK) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Valentina Starkova (ARK) def. Taylor Cohen (AU) 6-1, 6-3
1. #24 Claudine Paulson/Anouk Tigu (ARK) def. Olivia Bennett/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-3
2. Kate Lukomskaya/Stephanie Roy (ARK) def. Jacqueline Kasler/Plamena Kurteva (AU) 8-5
3. Valentina Starkova/Emily Carbone (ARK) def. Caroline Thornton/Taylor Cohen (AU) 8-4
Match Notes: Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,5,2,4,3)