April 2, 2006
AUBURN, Ala. - Facing the top ranked team in the Southeastern Conference and the No. 7 ranked team in the country, the Auburn women's tennis team was unable to get past Florida, who topped the Tigers, 7-0, on Sunday at the Luther Young Tennis Complex.
"Florida is a good team," head coach Tim Gray said. "We were in the doubles and we just have to carry that mindset over into the singles matches. They are ranked No. 7 in the nation for a reason."
Florida (15-1, 8-0) was able to claim all six singles matches from the Tigers (5-13, 0-8) and the doubles point in the match.
In the No. 1 singles match, Alex Haney lost for the first time in five matches, as she fell to 37th-ranked Alexis Gordon of Florida. Facing the No. 4 player in the country, Ashley Cowart fell to Florida's Diana Srebrovic, 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 2 match.
After playing in the No. 2 match on Friday, Whitney Chappell was moved to No. 3, where she fell, 6-2, 6-2, to Florida's Whitney Benik, who entered the match as the 87th-ranked player in singles. In the No. 4 match, Florida's Nina Suvak defeated Tori Almagno, 6-1, 6-0. At the No. 5 position, Irina Pljusznyin was defeated by Florida's Alex Liles, 6-0, 6-0. Playing at the No. 6 position, Dzeljan Memisi fell, 6-2, 6-1, to Florida's Keri Robison.
Florida won all three doubles matches to take the doubles point. In the No. 1 match Florida's duo of Whitney Benik and Alexis Gordon topped Auburn's duo of Alex Haney and Whitney Chappell, 8-6. Haney and Chappell were down 6-3 and rallied off two straight points to pull within one at 6-5, before Florida won two of the next three points to win the match.
In the No. 2 doubles match, the Gators' 47th-ranked duo of Lolita Frangulyan and Diana Srebrovic knocked off Auburn's team of Tori Almagno
and Ashley Cowart
, 8-2. Playing at No. 3, Irina Pljusznyin
and Dzeljan Memisi
made a late push, but was unable to upend the Gators' team of Keri Robison and Nina Suvak, which won the match, 8-6.
Auburn returns to the courts on Friday, April 7, when the Tigers travel to Arkansas for 2 p.m. match with the Lady Razorbacks.
Women's Collegiate Tennis
Florida 7 Auburn 0
April 2, 2006
1. No. 37 Alexis Gordon, UF def. Alex Haney, AU, 6-2, 6-3.
2. No. 4 Diana Srebrovic, UF def. Ashley Cowart, AU, 6-0, 6-0.
3. No. 87 Whitney Benik, UF def. Whitney Chappell, AU, 6-2, 6-2.
4. Nina Suvak, UF def. Tori Almagno, AU, 6-1, 6-0.
5. Alex Liles, UF def. Irina Pljusznyin, AU, 6-0, 6-0.
6. Keri Robison, UF def. Dzeljan Memisi, AU, 6-2, 6-1.
1. Whitney Benik/Alexis Gordon, UF def. Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell, AU, 8-6.
2. No. 47 Lolita Frangulyan/Diana Srebrovic, UF def. Tori Almagno/Ashley Cowart, AU, 8-2.
3. Keri Robison/Nina Suvak, UF def. Irina Pljusznyin/Dzeljan Memisi, AU, 8-6.