April 1, 2011
AUBURN - The Auburn women's tennis team was looking for its first SEC win against No. 53 LSU Friday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center, but fell by a score of 5-2. Auburn is now 4-14 on the season and 0-7 in the SEC.
"I thought we did great in the doubles and came out with good energy," said head coach Tim Gray. "It looked like we were getting off to a good start in singles. At some point we have to start playing well under pressure and that is what hurt us today. I have to give credit to LSU. They stayed in it even though they went down early."
In doubles, Auburn came up with two big wins to steal the doubles point. On court three Auburn's Caroline Thornton and Taylor Cohen defeated LSU's Kaitlin Burns and Ariel Morton, 8-5. In the No. 1 matchup LSU's Whitney Wolf and Olivia Howlett made it past Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Olivia Bennett, 8-6. Then on court two Auburn's Plamena Kurteva and Jacquline Kasler came away with the hard fought win over LSU's Keri Frankenberger and Yvette Vlaar, 9-7, to secure the doubles point for Auburn.
In singles, LSU came back to clinch the match with wins on five courts. On court six Auburn freshman Maria Arechavaleta fell to LSU's Vlaar, 6-3, 6-2. On court four Auburn's Kurteva lost to LSU's Ebie Wilson, 6-4, 6-4. In the No. 2 matchup LSU's Howlett defeated Auburn's Thornton 2-6, 6-1, 6-4. On court three Auburn's Bennett was beat out by the Lady Tiger's Burns, 6-4, 7-6 (2) to clinch the match for LSU.
In the No. 1 match up Auburn's Schippers upset No. 66 Wolf of LSU, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, to score Auburn's second point. To finish the match, Auburn's Kasler lost against LSU's Frankenberg, 7-5, 6-7 (5), 10-2.
Auburn will be back in action on Sunday against No. 15 Arkansas. The match will start at 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Admission is free and live stats can be followed at AuburnTigers.com
#53 LSU 5, Auburn 2
1. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. #66 Whitney Wolf (LSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 7-5, 6-7 (7-5), 1-0 (10-2)
6. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Maria Arechavaleta (AU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Whitney Wolf/Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. Paulina Schippers/Olivia Bennett (AU) 8-6 2. Plamena Kurteva/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Keri Frankenberger/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 9-7 3. Taylor Cohen/Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,2,3,1,5)