March 31, 2009
AUBURN - The 29th-ranked Auburn women's tennis team cruised to a 7-0 win over Southern Miss (4-11) Tuesday evening on the indoor courts of the Yarbrough Tennis Center. In the seventh shutout of the season, the Tigers won all of the contested matches in singles and two of the doubles matches to improve their record to 11-6, 3-2 SEC.
"I'm pleased with how our team performed tonight," head women's tennis coach Tim Gray said. "We had fantastic play in the doubles with our Nos. 1 and 2 stepping up. It was also great to see such great play out of all of our singles players, too. This win tonight helps build our confidence as we head into another tough weekend of SEC play hosting Georgia and Tennessee."
A veteran, Whitney Chappell, and a rookie, Daniela Vukadinovic, paired together on court two to shut out the Golden Eagle duo of Hollie Robinson and Shannon Rogers, 8-0. Jil Hastenrath and Myrthe Molenveld secured the doubles point for the Tigers with a dominating 8-1 decision in the No. 1 spot.
Chappell continued her winning ways as the No. 1 singles player, easily defeating Elja van Berlo in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. She improves to 11-5 in singles action.
Sophomore Dunja Djuranovic was the second singles player to finish, picking up a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Shannon Rogers in the No. 6 position.
Vukadinovic, playing her first match as the No. 3 singles player, notched a 6-4, 6-0 win against Lauren Gutterman.
On court four, Hastenrath dealt Robinson a 6-1, 6-1 setback for her eighth win of her junior campaign and her second victory in the No. 4 spot. Molenveld rallied from a first set 6-3 loss, to defeat Alexandra Kaluza 6-2 in the second set and 10-6 in a third-set tiebreaker.
wrapped up the evening's action on court five by beating Zoe Lee, 6-3, 6-3, for her second singles win of her junior season.
The Auburn women will return to the courts of the Yarbrough Tennis Center for a pair of weekend contests against No. 2 Georgia on Friday at 4 p.m., and No. 13 Tennessee on Sunday at 1 p.m. Sunday's match against the Lady Vols will be the home finale and Auburn's two seniors, Alex Haney and Whitney Chappell, will be honored prior to the start of the match.
AUBURN 7, SOUTHERN MISS 0
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 1, 3)
1. Jil Hastenrath/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Lauren Gutterman/Elja van Berlo (SM), 8-1
2. Daniela Vukadinovic/Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Hollie Robinson/Shannon Rogers (SM), 8-0
3. Alexandra Kaluza/Zoe Lee (SM) def. Heather Bybee/Dunja Djuranovic (AU), 8-6
Singles (order of finish: 1, 6, 3, 4, 2, 5)
1. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Elja van Berlo (SM), 6-2, 6-1
2. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Alexandra Kaluza (SM), 3-6, 6-2, 1-0(10-6)
3. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) def. Lauren Gutterman (SM), 6-4, 6-0
4. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Hollie Robinson (SM), 6-1, 6-1
5. Heather Bybee (AU) def. Zoe Lee (SM), 6-3, 6-3
6. Dunja Djuranovic (AU) def. Shannon Rogers (SM), 6-2, 6-4