AUBURN, Ala. - No. 49 Auburn women’s tennis earned its first win over a top-20 opponent this season, defeating No. 18 Kentucky, 4-1, Sunday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
“We knew that we were at a tipping point and if we could just get this one win it would help our confidence and I think it has,” Auburn head coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner said. “This was a total team effort from top to bottom. I am so proud of them. Kentucky is an amazing team. We are going to take it one game at a time. It was a good win.”
The victory for Auburn (12-9, 2-7 SEC) snapped a fifth-match losing skid for the Tigers.
The 10th-ranked doubles pair of Pleun Burgmans and Emily Flickinger started the day off with a win for the Tigers in doubles, topping Kentucky’s (15-7, 6-3 SEC) Aldila Sutjiadi and Mami Adachi 8-3 on court one. Auburn’s tandem moved to 21-8 overall this season with the victory and are 5-2 against SEC opponents.
The matches on courts two and three went into tiebreakers, but Michala Kucharova and Paula de Man prevailed to clinch the doubles point on court two with a 8-7 (7-3) win over UK’s Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff and Kelsey Dieters.
Jen Pfeifler won Auburn’s first singles match of the day, topping Taylor Lederman 6-3, 6-0 on court six. 68th-ranked Burgmans followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win on court one over 76th-ranked Nadia Ravita.
Reka Muller sealed the victory for Auburn with a 6-2, 1-6, 6-2 victory over No. 121 Mami Adachi at four.
“I was really excited for Pleun to be able to get this win. She really is getting that confidence back,” Meisner said. “Reka coming back into the lineup was huge for us. Our senior Jen Pfeifler really stepped up and played well on court six. I have to give props to her.”
Auburn returns to the road to take on Mississippi State on April 1 at 2 p.m. and travels to take Alabama on April 4 at 1 p.m.
For the latest on Auburn women's tennis follow @AuburnWTennis on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AuburnWTennis.
Auburn Women’s Tennis Results
March 29, 2015
Yarbrough Tennis Center - Auburn, Ala.
#49 Auburn 4, #18 Kentucky 1
1. #68 Pleun Burgmans (AU) def. #76 Nadia Ravita (UK) 6-4, 6-1
2. Andie Dikosavljevic (AU) vs. Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) 3-6, 6-6, unfinished
3. Kelsey Dieters (UK) def. Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Reka Muller (AU) def. #121 Mami Adachi (UK) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
5. Paula de Man (AU) vs. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 7-5, 5-2, unfinished
6. Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Taylor Lederman (UK) 6-3, 6-0
1. #10 Pleun Burgmans/Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Aldila Sutjiadi/Mami Adachi (UK) 8-3
2. Michala Kucharova/Paula de Man (AU) def. Nadia Ravita/Kirsten Lewis (UK) 8-7 (7-3)
3. E. Morin-Kougoucheff/Kelsey Dieters (UK) def. Reka Muller/Jen Pfeifler (AU) 8-7 (7-4)
Kentucky 15-7, 6-3 SEC; National ranking #18
Auburn 12-9, 2-7 SEC; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,3,2)