NASHVILLE, Tenn.-The No. 50 Auburn women's tennis team (8-6, 2-4) was shutout by No. 29 Vanderbilt (9-6, 4-2) Sunday afternoon at Currey Tennis Center in Nashville. The senior doubles pairing of Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath picked up Auburn's lone victory on the day in No. 2 doubles action.
At No. 3 doubles, the Commodore tandem of Hannah Blatt and Rachael Dillon shutout Auburn's freshman duo of Paulina Schippers and Plamena Kurteva by a score of 8-0 in the first doubles match of the day. Following third doubles, the No. 2 tandem of Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath defeated Chelsea Newman and Diane Robinson, 8-2 in the No. 2 position.
In first-flight action, Myrthe Molenveld and Caroline Thornton challenged the No. 27 team in the country in Chelsea Pregg and Jackie Wu. However, the Vanderbilt combo then pulled away, capturing the match 8-5.
Facing the tough challenge of going up against a trio of nationally-ranked singles players, the Tigers were shutout in flights one, two, and three. Chifchieva, who entered ranked 46th, was defeated by No. 38 Newman, 6-4, 7-5. No. 76 Chelsea Preeg then knocked off Auburn sophomore Daniela Vukadinovic 6-2, 6-4, and No. 24 Jackie Wu defeated Molenveld 6-2, 6-1.
Senior Jil Hastenrath was the closest Tiger to victory in singles, as she fell to Vandy's Rachael Dillon 5-7, 6-3, 13-11 in a tie-breaker.
Auburn returns to action on Friday, April 2 as the Tigers head to Fayetteville, Ark., to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks at Noon. Following Friday's match, the Tigers will then travel to Baton Rouge, La., to take on LSU, which is also slated for a Noon start time.
Live stats will be available via AuburnTigers.com for each match.
No. 29 Vanderbilt 7, No. 50 Auburn 0
March 28, 2010
1. No. 38 Catherine Newman (VU) def. No. 46 Fani Chifchieva (AU) 6-4, 7-5
2. No. 76 Chelsea Preeg (VU) def. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) 6-2, 6-4
3. No. 24 Jackie Wu (VU) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Keilly Ulery (VU) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Rachael Dillon (VU) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU) 5-7, 6-3(13-11)
6. Hannah Blatt (VU) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 4, 2, 1, 5
1. No. 27 Wu / Preeg (VU) def. Molenveld / Thornton (AU) 8-5
2. Chifchieva / Hastenrath (AU) def.Newman / Robertson (VU) 8-2
3. Blatt / Dillon (VU) def. Kurteva / Schippers (AU) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1