March 28, 2008
Knoxville, Tenn. -
The Auburn University women's tennis team (13-6, 3-4 SEC) fell 4-3 to the No. 20 Tennessee Lady Vols (12-5, 5-2 SEC) in Knoxville Friday.
"This was a hard pill to swallow today," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "We had several chances and with a good team like Tennessee you have to capitalize on those opportunities. We will keep working, and if we keep our chins up we will start getting those close ones down the road."
The Tigers dropped the doubles point, but Fani Chifchieva and Whitney Chappell won their match on court two, 8-6.
Alex Haney tied the score at one with her singles win on court two. She defeated Ghizela Schutte 6-2, 6-2. The Tigers led the Vols when Melissa Koning defeated Samantha Orlin 6-2, 6-1, in the three spot.
The Vols came back with wins on courts four and six over Whitney Chappell and Gaby Beelen. Auburn sophomore Jil Hastenrath defeated Jennifer Meredith in the five spot and tied the score up.
The match came down to Chifchieva and Caitlin Whoriskey in the one spot. Chifchieva won the first set 6-3, but fell 6-4, 6-3 in the second and third sets. The loss snaps a 17-match win streak for Chifchieva.
Auburn heads to Athens, Ga., on Sunday to take on the Georgia Lady Dogs. The match begins at noon, CT. Auburn will return to the Plains on April 4, to host the Florida at 2 p.m., CT.
1. #71 Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) def. #24 Fani Chifchieva (AU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Alex Haney (AU) def. Ghizela Schutte (UT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Melissa Koning (AU) def. Samantha Orlin (UT) 6-2, 6-1
4. Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. Whitney Chappell (AU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jil Hastenrath (AU) vs. Jennifer Meredith (UT) 6-4, 7-5
6. Rosalia Alda (UT) def. Gaby Beelen (AU) 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4, 6, 5, 6
1. Whoriskey/Zubor (UT) def. #18 Haney/Koning (AU) 8-4
2. Chifchieva/Chappell (AU) def. Schutte/Rosalia (UT) 8-6
3. Vogel/Meredith (UT) def. Hastenrath/Beelen (AU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1