March 27, 2010
AUBURN- The No. 50 Auburn women's tennis team (8-5, 2-4) defeated the Kentucky Wildcats (2-13, 0-5) Friday afternoon at City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center by a 5-2 count. The Tigers won four singles matches as well as a pair of doubles showdowns to secure the victory.
"It was a good win, Kentucky is a little beat up but their one through four is as good as any team in the league," said head coach Tim Gray. "I think the doubles point was critical, but we did a good job, stepped up and did what we needed to do. Kentucky has a good team and they fought hard, but our girls matched the intensity and stepped up when they needed to."
Auburn took the first match of the day in doubles action, as the senior tandem of Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath knocked off Megan Broderick and Christine Johnson, 8-1. The standout freshman pairing of Plamena Kurteva and Paulina Schippers followed with an 8-0 blanking of Elle Coldiron and Nicole Scates in the No. 3 spot to give Auburn the doubles point and improve to 10-2 on the season.
Kentucky was able to pick up a win at No. 1 doubles as Caroline Lilley and Minette Pienaar defeated Auburn's Myrthe Molenveld and Jil Hastenrath, 8-5.
Auburn quickly jumped out to a 4-0 lead, winning the first three singles matches on the afternoon. Hastenrath got the ball rolling, blanking Coldiron 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 6 position. Schippers followed with a 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Scates at No. 5. Chifchieva, the No. 46 player in the nation, defeated Megan Broderick, ranked 123rd in the nation, 6-3, 6-1 in a matchup of nationally-ranked players.
Kentucky was able to rattle off consecutive wins, beginning in the No. 4 position as Pienaar defeated Thornton 7-5, 6-2. Molenveld fought hard at No. 3 after dropping the first set 6-2, but battled to force a tiebreaker that she dropped 8-6.
Sophomore Daniela Vukadinovic finished off the afternoon for the Tigers with a 7-5, 6-3 victory of Lilley to run the team tally to the final score of 5-2.
The Tigers return to action Sunday at noon, as the squad travels to Nashville to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores. Live stats will be available courtesy of Vanderbilt via AuburnTigers.com.
#50 Auburn 5, Kentucky 2
1. Fani Chifchieva (AU-W) def. Megan Broderick (KENTUCKY) 6-3, 6-1
2. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU-W) def. Caroline Lilley (KENTUCKY) 7-5, 6-3
3. Christine Johnson (KENTUCKY) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU-W) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Minette Pienaar (KENTUCKY) def. Caroline Thornton (AU-W) 7-5, 6-2
5. Paulina Schippers (AU-W) def. Nicole Scates (KENTUCKY) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU-W) def. Elle Coldiron (KENTUCKY) 6-0, 6-0
1. Caroline Lilley/Minette Pienaar (KENTUCKY) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Caroline Thornton (AU-W) 8-5
2. Fani Chifchieva/Jil Hastenrath (AU-W) def. Megan Broderick/Christine Johnson (KENTUCKY) 8-1
3. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU-W) def. Elle Coldiron/Nicole Scates (KENTUCKY) 8-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,5,1,4,3,2)