Alex Haney won her fourth match in a row.
March 26, 2006
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Facing its fourth ranked opponent in the last five matches, the Auburn women's tennis team fell, 5-2, at No. 24 Tennessee on Sunday.
Auburn (5-11, 0-6 Southeastern Conference) was able to earn victories in the Nos. 2 and 6 singles spots, as well as the No. 3 doubles match. Tennessee (9-7, 5-1 SEC) won for the fifth time in its last six matches after losing four of five matches in February.
Alex Haney earned her fourth win in a row with a 6-3, 6-1 win over the Lady Vols' Melissa Schaub. Prior to her current win streak, Haney had lost six in a row. Auburn's second point came via Leigh Tippins, who won her No. 6 match over Stephanie Harris, 6-1, 6-1. Auburn's doubles victory was by Tori Almagno and Ashley Cowart, who paired together for the first time this season. The duo won the No. 3 match with a 9-7 win over Tori Almagno and Ashley Cowart.
In singles play, Tennessee's Victoria Jones defeated Whitney Chappell, 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 1 match. At the No. 3 position, the Lady Vols' Blakeley Griffith defeated Tori Almagno, 6-1, 6-2. In the No. 4 match, Ghizela Schutte defeated Auburn's Irina Pljusznyin, 6-4, 6-0. Playing No. 5, Erin Gray fell to Tennessee's Samantha Orlin, 6-0, 6-3.
Auburn's losses in doubles play came in the Nos. 1 and 2 matches. In the No. 1 match, Tennessee's, Melissa Schaub and Ghizela Schutte defeated Whitney Chappell and Alex Haney, 8-2. At the No. 2 position, Blakeley Griffith and Victoria Jones of Tennessee downed the Tigers' doubles team of Irina Pljusznyin and Leigh Tippins, 8-3.
Auburn returns to the courts on March 31, when the Tigers host South Carolina at 6 p.m.
Women's Collegiate Tennis
Tennessee 5 Auburn 2
March 26, 2006
1. Victoria Jones (TN) def. Whitney Chappell (AU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alex Haney (AU) def. Melissa Schaub (TN) 6-3, 6-1
3. Blakeley Griffith (TN) def. Tori Almagno (AU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ghizela Schutte (TN) def. Irina Pljusznyin (AU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Samantha Orlin (TN) def. Erin Gray (AU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Leigh Tippins (AU) def. Stephanie Harris (TN) 6-1, 6-1
1. Melissa Schaub/Ghizela Schutte (TN) def. Whitney Chappell/Alex Haney (AU) 8-2
2. Blakeley Griffith/Victoria Jones (TN) def. Irina Pljusznyin/Leigh Tippins (AU) 8-3
3. Tori Almagno/Ashley Cowart (AU) def. Stephanie Harris/Samantha Orlin (TN) 9-7