March 23, 2008
Auburn, Ala. -
The Auburn women's tennis team (12-5, 3-3 SEC) lost a tough match 4-3 to No. 23 Kentucky (11-5, 2-3 SEC) on Saturday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"We knew coming in that Kentucky would be a tough match," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "We didn't get off to a good start on doubles and when you have to start singles one behind with a team like this, it makes it a tough day."
The Tigers dropped the doubles point with losses on courts two and three. Alex Haney and Melissa Koning won 8-3 on court one, extending their conference record to 5-1.
Freshman Gaby Beelen won Auburn's first singles point on court one. She dropped her first set 4-6, but came back to defeat Lauren Meier 6-2, 6-2. Kentucky's first singles point came from Alaina Trgovich's win over Jil Hastenrath on court five.
Koning won Auburn's second match on court three. She won her first set 6-2, but dropped the second 0-6. She came back to win 6-3 in the third set.
With the score tied at two-all, Haney lost a hard fought match 6-3, 7-6
(3) on court two. Then sophomore Fani Chifchieva came back from a second-set loss to tie the score at three. Chifchieva defeated No. 83 Sarah Woestman 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
Junior Whitney Chappell battled a tough match on court four, but UK's Christine Johnston prevailed 7-6 (4), 6-2, and clinched the match for the Wildcats.
The Tigers will be back in action on Wednesday, March 26, at 2 p.m., to host the Thundering Herd of Marshall. Admission to the match is free.
Live stats will be available at www.auburtigers.com.
1. # 24 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. # 83 Sarah Woestman (UK) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2. Megan Broderick (UK) def. Alex Haney (AU) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
3. Melissa Koning (AU) def. Carolina Escamilla (UK) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
4. Christine Johnston (UK) df. Whitney Chappell (AU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
5. Alaina Trgovich (UK) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Gaby Beelen (AU) def. Lauren Meier (UK) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 2, 1, 4
1. # 27 Haney/Koning (AU) def.Broderick/Escamilla (UK) 8-2
2. Johnson/Trgovich (UK) def. Beelen/Hastenrath (AU) 8-3
3. Spencer/Woestman (UK) def. Chifchieva/Djuranovic (AU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3