March 22, 2009
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -
The 45th-ranked Auburn women's tennis team shutout its fourth opponent of the season with a 7-0 win against No. 62 Marshall Sunday at the Brian David Fox Tennis Center. With the win, the Tigers improved their season record to 9-5, 2-1 SEC.
“I'm very happy with our effort today against a very good Marshall team,” head women’s tennis coach Tim Gray said. “I feel like this is the first time this season that we've had a total, focused team effort. The team did a tremendous job and if we continue to have efforts such as this we can beat anyone.”
Heather Bybee and Jil Hastenrath got things started for the Tigers with an 8-4 victory over Marshall’s Catherine Kellner and Kristina Koprcina in the No. 3 doubles spot. The 44th-ranked senior tandem of Whitney Chappell and Alex Haney improved to 5-2 with a 9-7 win over Kellie Schmitt and Karolina Soor.
"I'm really happy with our play in the doubles today,” Gray said. “We had much more fire and intensity. We also did a much better job of moving and being the aggressor at all three positions. Heather Bybee stepped in and did a great job and gave us a big, much needed spark in the doubles."
Moving into singles play, the Tigers surrendered only one set to the Thundering Herd, with five-of-six players winning in straight sets.
Haney, ranked 32nd nationally in singles competition, cruised to a 6-1, 6-3 win over Isabell Raich to improve to 10-2 in her senior campaign. Eighth ranked All-American Fani Chifchieva knocked off Marshall’s lone ranked player, No. 65 Kellie Schmitt, 6-2, 6-3, on center court. Chifchieva’s record now stands at 9-4.
Chappell was the third Tiger to finish, posting a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Karolina Soor. Hastenrath defeated Kristina Koprcina 6-2, 6-4, in the sixth position and was followed up by freshman Daniela Vukadinovic’s 6-3, 6-2 victory on court five over Catherine. Myrthe Molenveld wrapped up the afternoon’s action with a come from behind 0-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6) win over Jessica Keener.
Auburn will return to Southeastern Conference action on March 27, as the Tigers play host to No. 29 Vanderbilt at 4 p.m. on the outdoor courts of the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
#45 Auburn 7, #62 Marshall 0
Doubles (order of finish: 3, 1)
1. #44 Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Kellie Schmitt/Karolina Soor (MAR), 9-7
2. Fani Chifchieva/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) vs. Deanna Bailey/Jessica Keener (MAR), DNF
3. Heather Bybee/Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Catherine Kellner/Kristina Koprcina (MAR), 8-4
Singles (order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 6, 5, 4)
1. #8 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. #65 Kellie Schmitt (MAR), 6-2, 6-3
2. #32 Alex Haney (AU) def. Isabell Raich (MAR), 6-1, 6-2
3. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Karolina Soor (MAR), 6-2, 6-2
4. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Jessica Keener (MAR), 0-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) def. Catherine Kellner (MAR), 6-3, 6-2
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Kristina Koprcina (MAR), 6-2, 6-4