March 19, 2011
AUBURN - In the first match of Sunday's doubleheader, Auburn took on 68th-ranked Boston University, upsetting the Terriers for the 4-3 win. The win ends a seven-match losing streak for Auburn. The Tigers are know 3-11 on the season.
"We knew that Boston University was a solid team, they have had some good wins this season," said Head Coach Tim Gray. "They are ranked 68th, but we felt that we played a schedule to be prepared for these matches. We just need to come out, get over the hump and we did that today."
In doubles, Auburn came away with the point with two wins. On court three, Auburn's Caroline Thronton and Taylor Screimann defeated Boston University's Monika Mical and Vanessa Steiner, 8-4. In the No. 1 match up The Terriers No. 76 ranked doubles team of Vivien Laszloffy and Stefanie Nunic won out against Olivia Bennett and Pualina Schippers, 8-5.
Auburn clinched the doubles point on court two when Plamena Kurteva and Jacquline Kasler defeated Jessi Linero and Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis, 8-4.
In singles, the Tigers continued to play well to get the three wins needed to clinch the match. On court four, Kurteva defeated Mical easily, 6-1, 6-1. Soon after, on court five, Kasler beat Athanasiadis, 6-2, 6-1. In the No. 3 match up, Auburn's Thornton beat Boston University's Petra Santini, 6-4, 6-1, to clinch the match for the Tigers.
Auburn's first loss came on court six where the Terrier's Linero defeated Shreimann, 6-4, 6-3. In the No. 1 matchup, Auburn's Schippers fell to Nunic, 6-2, 7-6 (0). On court two, BU's Laszloffy defeated Bennett, 6-2, 7-6 (6).
Auburn 4, Boston University 3
1. Stefanie Nunic (BU) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-0)
2. Vivien Laszloffy (BU) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
3. Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Petra Santini (BU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Monika Mical (BU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. L-C Athanasiadis (BU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jessi Linero (BU) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #76 Vivien Laszloffy/Stefanie Nunic (BU) def. Olivia Bennett/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-5
2. Plamena Kurteva/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Jessi Linero/L-C Athanasiadis (BU) 8-4
3. Taylor Schreimann/Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Monika Mical/Vanessa Steiner (BU) 8-4
Boston University 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,5,3,6,1,2)