March 17, 2006
Auburn, Ala.--The Auburn women's tennis team (5-9 overall, 0-4 SEC) defeated Georgia State Friday afternoon at the Luther Young Tennis Complex in windy conditions.
In doubles play, the duo of Whitney Chappell and Tori Almagno won seven straight points before going on to win 8-1 over Georgia State's Rachel Malina and Mateja Podgorsek at the No. 2 position. Playing No. 1, Auburn's pair of Ashley Cowart and Alex Haney won their fifth consecutive doubles match with an 8-7 (2) victory over Anne Breiholtz and Martina Nitkova. Leigh Tippins and Irina Pljusznyin won their doubles match over the Panthers' Brittany Smith and Kiera Strickland, 8-3.
"Conditions were tough out there today with it being very windy," Auburn head coach Tim Gray said. "Given the weather conditions and the emotional match last night, it was important for us as a team to step up and execute this afternoon. I think for the most part we took care of business and did what we needed to do. Overall I was very happy with our effort today. We are making the strides we need to make to become a better team."
Playing No. 2 in singles, Alex Haney picked up her second consecutive win with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Martina Nitkova of Georgia State. Tori Almagno and Erin Gray also had impressive wins for the Tigers. Almagno won 6-0, 6-3 over Rachel Malina at No. 3, while Gray defeated Kiera Strickland 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6.
Playing No. 4, Irina Pljusznyin dropped her first set to Mateja Podgorsek, 6-4. However, she was able to come back with a 6-2 victory in the second set to force a ten-point tiebreak. In the extra set, Pljusznyin took a 10-6 victory to claim the singles win. At the No. 5 position, Leigh Tippins found herself in a similar situation versus the Panthers' Brittany Smith. Tippins took a 6-3 win in the first set, but lost the second to Smith by a count of 6-3. In the ten-point tiebreak, Tippins was able to take the match with a 10-6 victory.
At the No. 1 position, Auburn's Whitney Chappell was defeated by Georgia State's No. 109 Anne Breiholtz, 6-3, 6-2.
The Tigers return to action on Friday, March 24, as they take on No. 24 Georgia in Athens. Auburn will resume its home slate on March 31 as they host South Carolina at the Luther Young Tennis Complex.
Women's Collegiate Tennis
March 17, 2006
1. No. 109 Anne Breiholtz (GSU) def. Whitney Chappell (AU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Alex Haney (AU) def. Martina Nitkova (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Tori Almagno (AU) def. Rachel Malina (GSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Irina Pljusznyin (AU) def. Mateja Podgorsek (GSU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Leigh Tippins (AU) def. Brittany Smith (GSU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Erin Gray (AU) def. Kiera Strickland (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 4
1. Ashley Cowart/Alex Haney (AU) def. Anne Breiholtz/Martina Nitkova (GSU) 8-7 (2)
2. Whitney Chappell/Tori Almagno (AU) def. Rachel Malina/Mateja Podgorsek (GSU) 8-1
3. Irina Pljusznyin/Leigh Tippins (AU) def. Brittany Smith/Kiera Strickland (GSU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1