AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 13 Auburn women's tennis team improved its win streak to five games on Friday by sweeping Alabama 4-0 at home at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
Doubles came down to the wire, but Auburn ultimately clinched the point. The freshman tandem of Jaeda Daniel and Madeline Meredith earned the first set win for the Tigers with a 6-4 victory over Alabama's Jacqueline Pelletier and Smith Hinton on court three. That win also increased the duo's win streak to four and improved their overall record to 9-1 on the season.
Alabama's Andie Daniell and Kylie Moulin responded with a 6-2 win over Auburn's Georgie Axon and Caroline Turner on court two. As pressure mounted, Auburn clinched the point with a 7-5 win from the No. 70 tandem of Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo over Alabama's Ann Selim and Alba Courtina-Pou.
"We came out with another strong performance in doubles," said coach Lauren Spencer. "We knew they were going to bring their best tennis. It's obviously always emotional when you play Alabama, but we were ready for a war. I'm really proud of our 1s and 3s being able to put us on the board and give us some momentum that helped us start really hot in singles."
In singles, the Tigers wasted no time finishing what they started. No. 80 Jaeda Daniel earned the first singles point for the Tigers with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Alabama's Smith Hinton, moving to 10-5 on the season with a three-game win streak.
Senior Andie Dikosavljevic moved to 9-3 on the season and put Auburn up 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Alabama's Ann Selim on court four. Sophomore Georgie Axon, who is now 6-3 on the season and on a three-game win streak of her own, clinched the sweep for the Tigers with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Alabama's Kylie Moulin on court six.
"When we all get onto the court in singles, we just try to do our best and do our own thing," said Daniel. "I feel like everybody did that today. I'm really proud of our team. I feel like we deserved this win, and I'm really looking forward to next week."
Auburn is now 16-5 on the season and 4-1 in SEC play. The Tigers' next action will be another home stand against South Carolina and Florida next weekend.
No. 13 Auburn will square off against No. 10 South Carolina on Thursday, March 22 at 6 p.m. The Tigers will then face No. 18 Florida on Saturday, March 24 at noon.
#13 Auburn 4, Alabama 0
1. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) vs. #124 Andie Daniell (UA) 5-7, 6-1, 0-1, unfinished
2. #80 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) def. Smith Hinton (UA) 6-1, 6-0
3. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) vs. Jacqueline Pelletier (UA) 7-6 (7-4), 3-0, unfinished
4. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) def. Ann Selim (UA) 6-4, 6-4
5. Taylor Russo (AUBURN) vs. Alba Cortina-Pou (UA) 7-5, 4-4, unfinished
6. Georgie Axon (AUBURN) def. Kylie Moulin (UA) 6-2, 6-4
1. #70 Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo (AUBURN) def. Ann Selim/Alba Cortina-Pou (UA) 7-5
2. Andie Daniell/Kylie Moulin (UA) def. Georgie Axon/Caroline Turner (AUBURN) 6-2
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Jacqueline Pelletier/Smith Hinton (UA) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,6)