March 12, 2010
AUBURN- The No. 63 Auburn women's tennis team (6-5, 0-3) were defeated by the No. 5 Florida Gators (12-2, 3-0) by a 6-1 count Friday afternoon at City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. Freshman Plamena Kurteva, playing in the first singles match of her career, picked up the lone victory on the day for the Tigers.
"Clearly Florida is a solid team," said head coach Tim Gray. "We did some things well today. We just didn't execute well. We were a little shaky in doubles. We had some opportunities, but they are a good team and we needed to bring a better game today."
Auburn's day began by facing two of the top doubles teams in the country, as No. 34 Lauren Embree and Anastasia Revzina defeated Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Kurteva, 8-1 as the pairing played at No. 2 doubles for the first time this season. At No. 1 singles, seniors Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath were defeated by the No. 6 pairing of of Marritt Boonstra and Allie Will 8-2 after leading early in the match by a 2-1 tally.
Doubles play concluded as Brittany Borsyani and Claire Bartlett defeated Auburn's Myrthe Molenveld and Taylor Schreimann in Schreimann's first action of the season, 8-3.
In singles play, No. 76 Chifchieva met yet another top-flight competitor in No. 15 Lauren Embree. Chifchieva lead 4--0 in the first set, but eventually fell 6-4, 6-2. The afore mentioned Kurteva won the first set against Borsyani 6-4 before dropping the second set 7-5. The freshman fought back to win the tie-breaker 10-6 to take her first collegiate singles match.
Auburn returns to action Sunday to host No. 20 South Carolina from City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. Live stats can be accessed via AuburnTigers.com.
Florida 6, Auburn 1
1. #15 Lauren Embree (FLA) def. #76 Fani Chifchieva (AU-W) 6-4, 6-2
2. #11 Allie Will (FLA) def. Caroline Thornton (AU-W) 6-0, 6-2
3. #62 Marritt Boonstra (FLA) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU-W) 6-1, 6-0
4. Anastasia Revzina (FLA) def. Paulina Schippers (AU-W) 6-2, 6-4
5. Claire Bartlett (FLA) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU-W) 6-0, 6-1
6. Plamena Kurteva (AU-W) def. Brittany Borsanyi (FLA) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
1. #6 Marritt Boonstra/Allie Will (FLA) def. Fani Chifchieva/Jil Hastenrath (AU-W) 8-2
2. #34 Lauren Embree/Anastasia Revzina (FLA) def. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU-W) 8-1
3. Brittany Borsanyi/Claire Bartlett (FLA) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Taylor Schreimann (AU-W) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,5,1,4,6)
For additional information, contact: Scott Kemps (334) 844-9900.