March 11, 2011
COLUMBIA, S.C. - The Auburn women's tennis team (2-11, 0-3 SEC) took the doubles point off No. 44 South Carolina (7-4, 1-2 SEC), but could only pull out two singles wins as the Gamecocks came back for the 4-3 win.
"We did a much better job of fighting today," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "I think we made progress, yet at the same time I feel we blew a gigantic opportunity. South Carolina gave us very little respect and that had us fired up, but we just didn't finish them off."
In doubles action, Auburn came out strong and won the point. On court one, Olivia Bennett and Paulina Schippers fell to South Carolina's No. 54-ranked doubles team of Dominika Kanakova and Dijana Stojic, 8-2. On court two, Auburn's Plamena Kurteva and Jacquline Kasler defeated the Gamecocks' Anya Morgina and Milijana Jocic, 8-4.
To clinch the doubles point for Auburn, Caroline Thornton and Taylor Scheimann teamed up to defeat South Carolina's Madeleine Saari-Bystrom and Katerina Popova, 8-5.
In singles action, South Carolina came back to win the first two matches to take its first lead. In the No. 1 singles matchup, Schippers lost to the Gamecocks No. 65 Morgina, 6-1, 6-2. On court six, Schreimann fell to South Carolina's Andriana Pereira, 6-2, 6-0.
Auburn evened the score on court five as freshman Kasler defeated USC's Kanakova, 7-6, 6-2. The Tigers took the lead back, and moved within a point of victory, on court four as Kurteva defeated Saari-Bystrom, 6-1, 6-4.
South Carolina rallied to win the last two matches for the 4-3 victory. Auburn's Thornton fell first, dropping a 6-4, 6-2 decision to Popova on court three. Stojic wrapped up the Gamecock victory with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Auburn's Bennett on court two.
The Tigers will return to action at 12 p.m., Sunday at Florida. Fans can follow along with live scoring at AuburnTigers.com.
Against South Carolina
1. #35 Anya Morgina (USC) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Dijana Stojic (USC) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Katerina Popova (USC) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Madeleine S.-Bystrom (USC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Dominika Kanakova (USC) 7-6, 6-2
6. Adriana Pereira (USC) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU) 6-2, 6-0
1. #54 Dominika Kanakova/Dijana Stojic (USC) def. Olivia Bennett/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-2
2. Plamena Kurteva/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Anya Morgina/Miljana Jocic (USC) 8-4
3. Caroline Thornton/Taylor Schreimann (AU) def. Katerina Popova/Madeleine S.-Bystrom (USC) 8-5
Univeristy of South Carolina 7-4; National ranking #44
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,6,5,4,3,2)