AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 18 Auburn women's tennis team earned two wins on Saturday, defeating No. 12 Ole Miss 4-3 and Alabama A&M 7-0 at home in the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
In doubles against Ole Miss, Auburn got off to a hot start. The freshman tandem of Jaeda Daniel and Madeline Meredith claimed the first win for the Tigers by sweeping Allie Sanford and Tereza Janatova of Ole Miss 6-0 on court three. Auburn proceeded to clinch the point with a 7-5 win from Caroline Turner and Georgie Axon over Ole Miss' Tea Jandric and Sabina Machalova on court two.
In singles, Ole Miss fought back. No. 69 Tea Jandric got things started for the Rebels with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Auburn's Taylor Russo on court four. Ole Miss' Anna Vrbenska followed that with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Auburn's Andie Dikosavljevic on court five.
Auburn's Madeline Meredith responded with a 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 win over Ole Miss' Natalie Suk on court three. Jaeda Daniel put the Tigers up 3-2 with a 6-0, 7-5 win over Ole Miss' No. 106 Sabina Machalova on court two. No. 13 Arianne Hartono evened things up again with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Auburn's Alizee Michaud.
As the match came down to court six, Georgie Axon came back from down 5-1 in the second set to clinch the match for the Tigers with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Ole Miss' Alexa Bortles.
"It was a really tough one," said sophomore Georgie Axon. "We fought to the end. It definitely went down to the wire. We did really well in doubles to get the doubles point. We hadn't been getting that, but we've been working really hard on doubles, so that made a big difference today. I think it took a whole team effort to get through the lineup in singles."
Against Alabama A&M, Auburn took the doubles point as well. Jaeda Daniel and Mary Kathrine Meredith defeated Alabama A&M's Nthabiseng Mashego and Ayana Kawani Rengiil 6-1 in the first doubles set on court three. Georgie Axon and Madeline Meredith clinched the point for the Tigers with 6-3 win over Alabama A&M's Beatriz Gutierrez Cerezo and Shrarre Smith on court two. Alannah Griffin and Andie Dikosavljevic also won their match 6-4 on court one over Alabama A&M's Virag Hollos and Rida Khalid.
In singles, Auburn completed the sweep. Madeline Meredith claimed the first singles point of the day for the Tigers with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Alabama A&M's Rida Khalid on court three. Alizee Michaud followed suit with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Alabama A&M's Beatriz Gutierrez Cerezo on court one. Taylor Russo clinched the match for the Tigers with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Alabama A&M's Virag Hollos on court two.
Caroline Turner also defeated Alabama A&M's Shrarre Smith 6-0, 6-1 on court four. Mary Kathrine Lewis took down Alabama A&M's Nthabiseng Mashego 6-2, 6-2 on court six as well. Alannah Griffin won the final match of the day defeating Alabama A&M's Ayana Kawani Rengiil 6-3, 6-0 on court five.
Auburn is now 15-5 on the season and 3-1 in SEC play. The Tigers' next action will be back at home in the Yarbrough Tennis Center against Alabama on Friday, March 16 at 2 p.m.
#18 Auburn 4, #12 Ole Miss 3
1. #13 Arianne Hartono (OM) def. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) 7-5, 6-3
2. #80 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) def. #106 Sabina Machalova (OM) 6-0, 7-5
3. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Natalie Suk (OM) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
4. #69 Tea Jandric (OM) def. Taylor Russo (AUBURN) 6-4, 6-0
5. Anna Vrbenska (OM) def. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) 6-0, 6-4
6. Georgie Axon (AUBURN) def. Alexa Bortles (OM) 6-3, 7-5
1. #70 Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo (AUBURN) vs. #11 Arianne Hartono/Alexa Bortles (OM) 5-6, unfinished
2. Georgie Axon/Caroline Turner (AUBURN) def. Tea Jandric/Sabina Machalova (OM) 7-5
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Allie Sanford/Tereza Janatova (OM) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6)
#18 Auburn 7, Alabama A&M 0
1. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) def. Beatriz Gutierrez-C. (AA&M) 6-0, 6-1
2. Taylor Russo (AUBURN) def. Virag Hollos (AA&M) 6-1, 6-0
3. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Rida Khalid (AA&M) 6-0, 6-1
4. Caroline Turner (AUBURN) def. Shrarre Smith (AA&M) 6-0, 6-1
5. Alannah Griffin (AUBURN) def. Ayana Kawani Rengiil (AA&M) 6-3, 6-0
6. Mary Katherine Lewis (AUBURN) def. Nthabiseng Mashego (AA&M) 6-2, 6-2
1. Alannah Griffin/Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) def. Virag Hollos/Rida Khalid (AA&M) 6-4
2. Georgie Axon/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Beatriz Gutierrez-C./Shrarre Smith (AA&M) 6-3
3. Mary Katherine Lewis/Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) def. Nthabiseng Mashego/Ayana Kawani Rengiil (AA&M) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)