AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 18 Auburn women's tennis team swept Mississippi State 4-0 for its second SEC win at home in the Yarbrough Tennis Center on Thursday.
The Tigers came out firing in doubles. The freshman tandem of Madeline Meredith and Jaeda Daniel moved to 8-1 on the season by winning the first doubles set 6-1 on court three over Mississippi State's Anastasia Rentouli and Sara Lizariturry. Auburn's No. 70 duo of Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo clinched the point for the Tigers with a 6-3 win over Mississippi State's Madison Harrison and Khrystyna Vozniak on court one.
"The intensity was great," said coach Lauren Spencer. "The focus on the game plan was fantastic. I think that really set the tone for the match. I was really happy with our number ones. They played really well today. I think they came out with a big win. Threes were dominant the entire time. The twos had a really tough match, but they just kept staying on the court, so I have no doubt that they would have won all three doubles matches. That really made me proud."
In singles, the Tigers kept their foot on the throttle. No. 80 Jaeda Daniel claimed the first singles point for Auburn with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Mississippi State's Janina Braun on court two. Madeline Meredith put the Tigers up 3-0 with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Mississippi State's Magda Adaloglou on court three. Alizee Michaud completed the sweep for the Tigers by coming back from an early deficit to defeat Mississippi State's Madison Harrison 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 on court one.
Meredith and Michaud have excelled in singles this season as they both have double digit wins in singles. Meredith is 13-2 on the season after today's win. Michaud is not only 12-1 on the season, but also riding an eight-game winning streak in singles after today's action.
Auburn is now 13-5 on the season and 2-1 in SEC play. The Tigers' next action will be a doubleheader against Ole Miss and Alabama A&M this Saturday, March 10. Auburn will square off against Ole Miss at noon, then face Alabama A&M at 4 p.m.
#18 Auburn 4, Mississippi St. Women's Tennis 0
1. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) def. Madison Harrison (MS-W) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. #80 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) def. Janina Braun (MS-W) 6-1, 6-3
3. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Magda Adaloglou (MS-W) 7-5, 6-4
4. Taylor Russo (AUBURN) vs. Anastasia Rentouli (MS-W) 0-6, 6-3, 1-3, unfinished
5. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) vs. Sara Lizariturry (MS-W) 4-6, 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
6. Georgie Axon (AUBURN) vs. Khrystyna Vozniak (MS-W) 5-7, 6-1, 1-2, unfinished
1. #70 Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo (AUBURN) def. Madison Harrison/Khrystyna Vozniak (MS-W) 6-3
2. Georgie Axon/Caroline Turner (AUBURN) vs. Janina Braun/Magda Adaloglou (MS-W) 4-4, unfinished
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Anastasia Rentouli/Sara Lizariturry (MS-W) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,3,1)