March 8, 2009
AUBURN - The No. 50 ranked Auburn women's tennis team (6-5, 1-1 SEC) suffered a 6-1 loss to No. 28 Arkansas (6-3, 1-1 SEC) Sunday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Freshman Daniela Vukadinovic was the only victorious singles player for the Tigers.
"This was a disappointing loss," head women's coach Tim Gray said. "They are a very solid team, but we did not have good energy and we had a lack of intensity. I think that our Nos. 1 and 2 did not step up today. We've got to do a better job of managing the things that we can control."
Auburn dropped the doubles point, winning only on court 1. Haney and Chappell raced to an early 4-0 lead over the 18th-ranked Arkansas duo of Anouk Tigu and Nanar Airapetian on the center court. The Razorback pair climbed back to put the match at 6-4, but the senior pair from Auburn held off the comeback clinched the upset, 8-4.The win improves the duo's record to 3-1, 1-1 SEC.
Vukadinovic earned the only team point for Auburn as the first singles player to finish. Vukadinovic easily handled Kate Lukomskaya on the No. 6 court via a score of 6-3, 6-4.
The Tigers will hit the road next weekend for a pair of SEC matches at Mississippi State and Ole Miss. Auburn will meet the Bulldogs on March 13 at 11 a.m. in Starkville. The Tigers will then travel to Oxford for an 11 a.m. match on March 15. Auburn's next home match will take place on March 27, playing host to Vanderbilt at 4 p.m.
Arkansas 6, Auburn 1
Doubles competition (Order of finish: 1, 3, 2)
1. Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell (AU) def. #18 Anouk Tigu /Nanar Airapetian (UA), 8-4
2. Ela Kaluder/Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. Fani Chifchieva/Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 8-3
3. Kate Lukomskaya/Emily Carbone (UA) def. Jil Hastenrath/Dunja Djuranovic (AU), 8-3
Singles competition (Order of finish: 6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 4)
1. #10 Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) def. #11 Fani Chifchieva (AU), 6-4, 6-3
2. #97 Anouk Tigu (UA) def. #35 Alex Haney (AU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Whitney Chappell (AU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Nanar Airapetian (UA) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-8)
5. Emily Carbone (UA) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) def. Kate Lukomskaya (UA), 6-3, 6-4