March 7, 2010
ATHENS, Ga.- The No. 36 Auburn women's tennis team nearly knocked off the No. 17 Georgia Bulldogs, but No. 4 singles proved to be the difference as the Bulldogs defeated the Tigers 4-3 at Dan Magill Tennis Complex Sunday afternoon.
"What a difference 48 hours makes," said head coach Tim Gray. "We learned a lot from our extremely disappointing loss to Tennessee on Friday and bounced back with a tremendous amount of fight today. I'm not pleased with the final result, but we learned a lot about our resolve today."
Auburn (6-4, 0-2 SEC) began the by taking the doubles point, earning decisions in flight No. 2 and No.3. The freshman pairing of Plamena Kurteva and Paulina Schippers defeated Naoko Ueshima and Lara Fakhoury by an 8-5 count to improve to 9-1 on the season. Court three captured the point for the Tigers, were seniors Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath defeated Yvette Hyndman and Cameron Ellis 8-6. The Georgia (6-3, 2-0) tandem of Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchirst, who entered the match as the No. 1 doubles team in the nation, defeated Auburn's Myrthe Molenveld and Caroline Thornton 8-5.
Georgia earned their first lead of the meet after winning the first singles matches on the day, as Ellis defeated Schippers 6-0, 6-0 in No. 5 singles and Gilchrist, ranked No. 23 in the country, defeated Molenveld 6-1, 6-1.
In the No. 6 slot, Hastenrath defeated Fakhoury 6-4, 6-3 to even up the match at 2-2. Hyndman went on to knock off Auburn's Daniela Vukadinovic 6-0,7-5 in straight sets as Georgia retook the match lead. The upset of the day came in No. 1 singles, as Chifchieva, the 76th-ranked player in the nation, defeated the sixth-ranked Gullickson 6-3, 1-6, 7-5 to send the match into a deciding matchup at fourth-flight singles with Ueshima taking on Thrornton of Auburn. The freshman battled, but eventually succumbed to the experienced senior, 6-4, 6-1.
"I'm truly proud that we went toe-to-toe with one of the country's best teams and nearly came out on top," said Gray.
Auburn returns to action Fri., March 12 hosting the Florida Gators at 2:30 p.m. from City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. Live stats can be accessed via AuburnTigers.com, while a live video feed will stream on WatchAuburnTennis.com.
#17 Georgia 4, #36 Auburn 3
1. #76 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. #6 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
2. #23 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) 6-0, 7-5
4. Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Lara Fakhoury (UGA) 6-4, 6-3
1. #7 Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Myrthe Molenveld/Caroline Thornton (AU) 8-5
2. Fani Chifchieva/Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Yvette Hyndman/Cameron Ellis (UGA) 8-6
3. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Lara Fakhoury/Naoko Ueshima (UGA) 8-5
Match Notes: Auburn 6-4; National ranking #36; Georgia 6-3; National ranking #17 Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,6,3,1,4)