March 6, 2009
AUBURN, Ala. - The No. 50 ranked Auburn women's tennis team (6-4, 1-0 SEC) opened the SEC season Friday night with a 5-2 win against No. 18 LSU (7-3, 0-1 SEC).
After failing to take the doubles point, the Auburn women found the momentum and the overall win in singles.
"We came out and we were really fired up," head coach Tim Gray mentioned. "We competed well in doubles and also in singles. We had a good game plan and we came out and executed well."
LSU took the early lead, taking the doubles point as Nicole Kantor and Staten Spencer defeated Auburn's Jil Hastenrath and Dunja Djuranovic, 8-2.
The Tigers, however, turned the momentum and took the first four singles match-ups and the overall victory. Daniela Vukadinovic started the Auburn push with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Nicole Smith.
The clinching point went to the Tigers as senior Whitney Chappell earned a 6-0, 6-1 victory against LSU's Nicole Kantor.
"Whitney did a great job today to beat a player like Nicole Kantor," said Gray. "She was our leader today and she stepped up today and took her game to a much higher level."
In the last two match-ups of the day, Hastenrath took a 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8) win over Spencer and Auburn's Myrthe Molenveld fell to Hannah Robinson, 7-5, 6-3.
"My hat goes off to the girls for bringing phenomenal energy into the match," Gray stated. "They did an excellent job of staying focused and I'm thrilled to see these girls beat the No. 18 team in the nation."
The Auburn women will return to the home courts on Sunday as they face off against Arkansas. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
Admission is free to all home matches. Fans that cannot make it to the match in person can follow along with live stats at AuburnTigers.com.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Auburn
March 6, 2009 at Auburn, Ala.
(Yarbrough Tennis Center)
Auburn 5, LSU 2
1. #11 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. #12 Megan Falcon (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
2. #35 Alex Haney (AU) def. Mykala Hedberg (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Nicole Kantor (LSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Hannah Robinson (LSU) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Staten Spencer (LSU) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) def. Nicole Smith (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Megan Falcon/Mykala Hedberg (LSU) def. Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell (AU) 8-6
2. Fani Chifchieva/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Hannah Robinson/Whitney Wolf (LSU) 8-3
3. Nicole Kantor/Staten Spencer (LSU) def. Jil Hastenrath/Dunja Djuranovic (AU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,2,1,3,5,4)