LEXINGTON, Ky. - The No. 16 Auburn women's tennis team earned its first SEC win in dramatic fashion with a 4-3 comeback victory over No. 15 Kentucky in Lexington, Ky. on Sunday.
Kentucky got off to a quick start in doubles. The No. 42 tandem of Mami Adachi and Emily Fanning won the first set 6-2 over Auburn's No. 60 tandem of Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo on court one. Caroline Turner and Georgie Axon then responded for the Tigers by moving to 4-1 together on the season with a 6-4 win over Kentucky's Justina Mikulskyte and Diana Tkachenko on court two.
After storming back from down 1-4, the freshman tandem of Jaeda Daniel and Madeline Meredith improved to 6-0 together on the season by clinching the doubles point for the Tigers with a 7-5 win over Kentucky's Lesedi Jacobs and Brianna Tulloch on court three.
In singles, Kentucky took back control of the match. Diana Tkachenko got things started for the Wildcats with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Auburn's Madeline Meredith on court four. No. 117 Justina Mikulskyte followed that with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Auburn's No. 60 Jaeda Daniel on court one. Mami Adachi then put the Wildcats up by two with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 win over Auburn's No. 121 Taylor Russo on court three.
After that, however, Auburn made a comeback. Senior Alizee Michaud claimed the Tigers' first singles point with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 win over Kentucky's Emily Fanning on court two to draw within one. That win not only kept the Tigers' hopes alive, but also extended her winning streak to seven games as she moved to 11-1 on the season.
Senior Andie Dikosavljevic then evened the score for the Tigers as she won her fifth straight match and moved to 8-1 on the season, defeating Kentucky's Lesedi Jacobs 6-1, 7-5 on court five. As it came down to the final court, Georgie Axon clinched the match for Auburn with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Kentucky's Brianna Tulloch on court six.
Auburn is now 12-5 on the season and 1-1 in the SEC. The Tigers' next action will be back at home in the Yarbrough Tennis Center against Mississippi State on Thursday, March 8 at 6 p.m. CT.
#16 Auburn 4, #15 Kentucky 3
1. #117 Justina Mikulskyte (UK) def. #60 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) def. Emily Fanning (UK) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
3. Mami Adachi (UK) def. #121 Taylor Russo (AUBURN) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Diana Tkachenko (UK) def. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) def. Lesedi Jacobs (UK) 6-1, 7-5
6. Georgie Axon (AUBURN) def. Brianna Tulloch (UK) 6-2, 6-4
1. #42 Mami Adachi/Emily Fanning (UK) def. #60 Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo (AUBURN) 6-2
2. Caroline Turner/Georgie Axon (AUBURN) def. Justina Mikulskyte/Diana Tkachenko (UK) 6-4
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Lesedi Jacobs/Brianna Tulloch (UK) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,3,2,5,6)