March 4, 2011
AUBURN - The Auburn women's tennis team (2-8, 0-1 SEC) took on No. 13 Georgia in the opening Southeastern Conference-opening match for both teams. The Bulldogs came away with the 7-0 victory on a cold afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"We gave a great effort today and I thought we fought hard," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "Georgia is just a good team. They are a little more talented than us and it showed today. We just have to execute a little better, but I was really pleased with the way we stepped in and fought today."
Georgia won the doubles point after winning on all three courts. Taylor Schriemann and Caroline Thronton were first to fall, losing to Georgia's Alexandra Anghelescu and Cameron Ellis, 8-1.
On court one Olivia Bennett and Jacqueline Kasler fell to The Bulldog's No. 25-ranked team of Kate Fuller and Chelsey Gullickson, 8-4, to secure the doubles point. On court three Auburn's Plamena Kurteva and Paulina Schippers tied the match at 4-4, before eventually giving the match up 8-4.
In singles play, Taylor Cohen faced off against Georgia's Alina Jerjomina and lost 2-6 on court six, in the first singles match to finish. Auburn's Kasler went up against No. 90 Ellis, falling 0-6, 0-6.
In the No. 3 singles match, Auburn's Thronton faced off against the Bulldog's Kimbell, dropping the match, 6-1, 6-0, clinching the match for Georgia.
The Tigers' Kurteva dropped her match against Fuller, 6-2, 6-1 while Schippers was matched up with No 78. Kowase, conceding the match, 6-2, 6-2.
A close match played out on court two between Auburn freshman Bennett and the Bulldogs' Anghelescu. Bennett took the first set 7-6(4) before falling in the second set, 6-4. With the match already decided the third set went straight to a tie-breaker with Anghelescu winning, 13 -11.
The Tigers will be back in action on Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Yarbrough Tennis Center against No. 18 Tennessee. Admission is free.
1. #78 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexandra Anghelescu (UGA) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 1-0 (13-11)
3. Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-1, 6-0
4. #90 Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alina Jerjomina (UGA) def. Taylor Cohen (AU) 6-2, 6-1
1. #25 Kate Fuller/Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Olivia Bennett/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 8-4
2. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) def. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU) 8-4
3. Alexandra Anghelescu/Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Taylor Schreimann/Caroline Thornton (AU) 8-1
University of Georgia 5-1; National ranking #13
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,3,5,1,2)