Whitney Chappell teamed with Tori Almagno to win the No. 1 doubles match.
March 3, 2006
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Auburn women's tennis team fell in its Southeastern Conference opener at No. 28 Kentucky, 7-0, on Friday at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex.
The loss for the Tigers marked the third straight year Auburn has began SEC play with a loss. Although they did not win a point, the Tigers (4-4, 0-1 SEC) were able to secure a victory with a 9-8 win in doubles play by the team of Whitney Chappell and Tori Almagno, who defeated Kentucky's duo of Kim Coventry and Carolina Escamilla in the No. 1 position. With the win, Chappell and Almagno moved their doubles record to 3-2 on the year. Unfortunately for Auburn, Kentucky (8-5, 1-0 SEC) was able to win two of three doubles matches and all six singles matches.
Playing in the No. 1 position for the third straight match, Alex Haney lost to 22nd-ranked Kim Coventry of Kentucky, 6-4, 6-2. In the No. 2 spot, No. 89 Whitney Chappell fell to the Wildcats' Lara Maurer, 6-4, 6-1. Playing in the No. 3 position, Kentucky's Joelle Schwenk defeated Ashley Cowart, 6-4, 6-2.
Playing in the No. 4 position Tori Almagno fell to Kentucky's Danielle Petrisko, 6-1, 6-2. In the No. 5 spot, Kentucky's Carolina Escamilla was able to escape with a three-set win over Dzeljan Memisi, 6-7, 6-0, 10-7. Lastly, in the No. 6 spot, Kentucky's Jessica Giuggioli upended Erin Gray, 6-1, 6-1.
As aforementioned, the Tigers' duo of Chappell and Almagno won a 9-8 decision over Kentucky's team of Coventry and Escamilla., 9-8. In the No. 2 doubles match, the Wildcats' team of Maurer and Schwenk defeated Haney and Tippins, 8-6. In the No. 3 spot, Cowart and Gray lost to Kentucky's duo of Petrisko and Winebrenner, 8-6.
The Tigers return to action on Sunday, when they travel to Nashville, Tenn., to face Vanderbilt at 12 p.m.
Women's Collegiate Tennis
Auburn at Kentucky
Kentucky 7 Auburn 0
1. No. 22 Kim Coventry, UK def. Alex Haney, AU, 6-4, 6-2.
2. Lara Maurer, UK def. No. 89 Whitney Chappell, AU, 6-4, 6-1.
3. Joelle Schwenk, UK def. Ashley Cowart, AU, 6-4, 6-2.
4. Danielle Petrisko, UK def. Tori Almagno, AU, 6-1, 6-2.
5. Carolina Escamilla, UK def. Dzeljan Memisi, AU, 6-7, 6-0, 10-7.
6. Jessica Giuggiuli def. Erin Gray, AU, 6-1, 6-1.
1. Tori Almagno/Whitney Chappell, AU def. Coventry/Escamilla, UK, 9-8.
2. Maurer/Schwenk, UK def. Alex Haney/Leigh Tippins, AU, 8-6.
3. Petrisko/Winebrenner, UK def. Ashley Cowart/Erin Gray, AU 8-6.