Feb. 28, 2009
- The 25th-ranked Auburn women's tennis team recorded its third and fourth shutouts of the season with 4-0 wins over both Mercer and Troy Saturday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Both matches were played to clinch the win. With the pair of wins, the Tigers improved to 5-4, 0-0 SEC.
"This was a much better effort this weekend than last week," head women's tennis coach Tim Gray said. "We came out with a lot more intensity and greater resolve to do the things that we needed to do. We did a much better job with the doubles in both matches. I felt like we really saw progress with the things that we've been working on."
Due to inclement weather that rumbled through Auburn earlier in the morning, Saturday's first match against Mercer was moved indoors, delayed and played out for the clinch win. The Tigers cruised against the Bears, sweeping the doubles matches and won three singles matches in straight sets.
Heather Bybee secured the win for the Tigers with a 6-2, 6-0 win on court six. Also picking up wins in the shortened match were 6-0, 6-0 shutouts by 30th-ranked Alex Haney in the No. 2 spot and Whitney Chappell in the No. 5 spot.
In the nightcap, Auburn took on Troy on the outdoor courts at the Yarbrough Tennis Center. Chappell and Haney won the doubles point for the Tigers on the center court by defeating the Trojan duo of Rawia Elsisi and Leonie Guijt, 8-3, for their second win of the day.
Fifth-ranked Fani Chifchieva (5-3) picked up the first singles win of the night against the Trojans, a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Elsisi on the center court. Chappell won her second singles match of the day via a 6-4, 6-1 decision over Leonie Guijt, to improve to 6-2 in her senior campaign. Playing on court five, Jil Hastenrath sealed the Auburn win by defeating Troy's Stephanie Vieira, 6-4, 6-1.
The Tigers will open Southeastern Conference action by playing host to No. 26 LSU on March 6 at 4 p.m., and No. 17 Arkansas on March 8 at 1 p.m. Both meets will take place at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
Auburn 4, Mercer 0
Doubles (order of finish: 1, 2, 3)
1. Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Priscilla Dias/Jennifer Lada (MU), 8-1
2. Fani Chifchieva/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Anna Wieslander/Amalia Bugge (MU), 8-1
3. Jil Hastenrath/Dunja Djuranovic (AU) def. Stephanie Cohen/Juliana Moscoso (MU), 8-0
Singles (order of finish: 4, 2, 6)
1. #5 Fani Chifchieva (AU) vs. Anna Wieslander (MU) 6-0, 4-1, dnf
2. #30 Alex Haney (AU) def. Amalia Bugge (MU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) vs. Priscilla Dias (MU) 6-2, 1-0, dnf
4. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Irys Citko (MU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) vs. Stephanie Cohen (MU) 6-2, 2-1,dnf
6. Heather Bybee (AU) def. Juliana Moscoso (MU) 6-2, 6-0
Auburn 4, Troy 0
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 3, 1)
1. Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Rawia Elsisi/Leonie Guijt (TU), 8-3
2. Fani Chifchieva/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Mirte De Bakker/Stephanie Vieira (TU), 8-1
3. Annabelle Bares/Gabrielle Viega (TU) def. Jil Hastenrath/Dunja Djuranovic (AU), 8-5
Singles (order of finish: 1, 4, 5)
1. #5 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. Rawia Elsisi (TU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #30 Alex Haney (AU) vs. Annabelle Bares (TU) 6-4, 6-5, dnf
3. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) vs. Mirte De Bakker (TU) 6-2, 4-2, dnf
4. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Leonie Guijt (TU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Stephanie Vieira (TU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) vs. Caroline Jouanin (TU) 4-6, 3-1, dnf