Feb. 27, 2011
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 64 Auburn women's tennis team took on No.51 Utah in the closing match of the Blue Gray Tennis Classic Sunday and fell 4-1 to the Utes at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center in Montgomery. The loss dropped Auburn to 2-7 on the season.
"It was a tough weekend and we played some very good teams," head coach Tim Gray said. "We're going to build on these experiences and take what we've learned into practice to prepare for SEC play coming up."
In doubles, the freshman duo of Olivia Bennett and Jacquline Kasler took on Utah's Anastasia Putilina and Paige Miles at the No. 1 spot and fell, 8-4. The Utes secured the doubles point at No. 2 doubles when Evgenia Kryuchkova and Lexi Provancha beat Auburn's Paulina Schippers and Plamena Kurteva, 8-4.
In singles, Schippers fell to Putilina in two sets on court one (6-3, 6-1). At No. 2 singles, Thornton was defeated by Utah's Kryuchkova, 6-4, 6-3.
Auburn's outstanding freshman Bennett put the Tigers on the board as she cruised by Pham, taking a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles. Utah closed out the match with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles.
Both Kasler and Taylor Cohen were unable to finish their matches before play was called. Kasler dropped the first set against Kovarcikova 7-5, but came back and won the second set 6-1. She was up 1-0 in the third set before play was suspended. Cohen fell in the first set against Provancha, 6-3, then came back to tie up the second set 3-3 before play was suspended.
Auburn takes on Georgia Friday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center in a 2:30 p.m. match. The Tigers close out the weekend taking on Tennessee at 1:00 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free for both matches.
1. Anastasia Putilina (Utah) def. Paulina Schippers (Auburn); 6-3, 6-1
2. Evgenia Kryuchkova (Utah) def. Caroline Thornton (Auburn); 6-4, 6-3
3. Olivia Bennett (Auburn) def. Sarah Pham (Utah); 6-2, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn) vs. Luia Kovarcikova (Utah); 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 unfinished
5. Paige Miles (Utah) def. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn); 6-2, 6-4
6. Taylor Cohen (Auburn) vs. Lexi Provancha (Utah); 3-6, 3-3 unfinished
1. Putilina/Miles (Utah) def. Bennett/Kasler (Auburn); 8-4
2. Kryuchkova/Provancha (Utah) def. Schippers/Kurteva (Auburn); 8-4
3. Thornton/Schreimann (Auburn) vs. Pham/Kovarchikova (Utah); unfinished
Auburn 2-7; National Ranking #64
Utah 5-7; National Ranking #51