Feb. 26, 2011
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 64 Auburn women's tennis team was defeated by No. 48 DePaul, 4-3, in the second round of the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center Saturday in Montgomery. With the loss, the Tigers fall to 2-6 on the year.
"It was a tough loss today," head coach Tim Gray said. "We had momentum going into singles after doubles, but DePaul did a good job at not giving up. We need to be more focused and poised in close matches if we hope to come out on top."
In the first doubles match of the day, Paulina Schippers and Caroline Thornton toppled DePaul's Selma Salkovic and Kelsey Lawson, 8-5. The Blue Demons bounced back as Cali Gustafson and Christiana Raymond beat Taylor Schriemann and Caroline Thornton, 9-8, at No.3 doubles.
In the No. 1 spot, Olivia Bennett and Jacquline Kasler earned the doubles point for Auburn by upsetting the No. 55 duo in the country in Katarina Milikonvic and Gia McKnight, 9-8.
DePaul locked the score at 1-1 when Raymond outdueled Kurteva in the first singles match, 6-3, 6-2. Auburn retook the lead after Kasler defeated Salkovic in two sets (6-2, 6-2) at No. 4 singles. Freshman Bennett defeated Lawson, 6-4, 6-1, to give Auburn a 3-1 lead.
DePaul battled back and received a win from Milikonvic, who defeated Schippers in three sets (6-1, 3-6, 6-2) at No. 1 singles. The Blue Demons would earn two more three-set victories and secure the team win. Gustafson defeated Schriemann (6-2, 2-6, 6-4) at No. 6 singles and McKnight earned the win for the Blue Demons by beating Thornton (6-3, 7-6, 7-5).
The Tigers finish out the Blue Gray Invitational tomorrow with a 4:30 p.m. matchup against Utah at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center Sunday.
1. Katarina Milinkovic (DePaul) def. Paulina Schippers (Auburn); 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
2. Gia McKnight (DePaul) def. Caroline Thornton (Auburn); 6-3, 6-7, 7-5
3. Olivia Bennett (Auburn) def. Kelsey Lawson (DePaul); 6-4, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn) def. Selma Salkovic (DePaul); 6-2, 6-2
5. Christiana Raymond (DePaul) def. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn); 6-3, 6-2
6. Cali Gustafson (DePaul) def. Taylor Schreimann (Auburn); 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
1. Bennett/Kasler (Auburn) def. No. 55 Milinkovic/McKnight (DePaul); 9-8
2. Schippers/Kurteva (Auburn) def. Salkovic/Lawson (DePaul); 8-5
3. Gustafson/Raymond (DePaul) def. Thornton/Schreimann (Auburn); 9-8
Auburn: 2-6; National ranking #64
DePaul: 8-5; National ranking #48
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,5,1,6,2)