Feb. 25, 2011
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 63 Auburn women's tennis team opened the 2011 Blue Gray National Tennis Classic with a 4-0 loss to No. 43 Ohio State at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center in Montgomery, Ala., Friday. With the loss, the Tigers stand at 2-5 on the season.
"Our play was up and down today," head coach Tim Gray said. "We had some chances and created opportunities, but didn't capitalize on them. We're going to regroup and hopefully come out a little more focused against DePaul tomorrow."
In doubles action, the No. 3 team of Caroline Thornton and Taylor Schreimann opened with an 8-3 victory over Ohio State's Kara Cecil and Noelle Malley. The Buckeyes answered with a victory at No. 1 doubles where the Auburn duo of Olivia Bennett and Jacquline Kasler fell to Ohio State's Paloma Escobedo and Cami Hubbs, 8-4.
After winning the doubles point, Ohio State won the final three matches needed to secure the team win. Hubbs defeated Schreimann in two sets (6-1, 6-2) at No. 6 singles, while Escobedo defeated Schippers (6-0, 6-0) and No. 1 singles. Steele defeated Kasler in two sets (6-2, 6-1) to end the match.
Three Tigers were still competing when play was called. Thornton dropped the first set, 6-3, to Haviland at No. 2 singles and was down 4-2 at the end of the day. Bennett had a one-set lead over Cecil after taking the first set 7-5 at the No. 3 spot. Kurteva fell 7-5 in the first set to Ohio State's Fidan Manashriova at No. 5 singles, but rebounded to take set two, 6-3.
Auburn looks to bounce back Saturday against No.48 DePaul in an 8:30 a.m. match at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center. DePaul fell to No. 9 Virginia, 4-0, in their opening match of the Blue Gray Classic Friday afternoon.
Against Ohio State
1. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Paulina Schippers (AU); 6-0, 6-0
2. Caroline Thornton (AU) vs. Kelsey Haviland (OSU); 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
3. Olivia Bennett (AU) vs. Kara Cecil (OSU); 7-5, 0-3, unfinished
4. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU); 6-2, 6-1
5. Plamena Kurteva (AU) vs. Fidan Manashriova (OSU); 5-7, 6-3, unfinished
6. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU); 6-1, 6-2
1. Paloma Escobedo/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Olivia Bennett/Jacqueline Kasler (AU); 8-4
2. Kelsey Haviland/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Paulina Schippers/Plamena Kurteva (AU); 8-5
3. Caroline Thornton/Taylor Schreimann (AU) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU); 8-3
Auburn 2-5; National ranking #64
Ohio State 6-2; National ranking #43
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,4)