MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The No. 26 Auburn women's tennis team split the day, losing to No. 5 Illinois 4-3 and defeating No. 31 Alabama 4-0 to end their run in the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic on Saturday.
In doubles, Illinois clinched the point in the final set. Daniela Pedraza Novak and Sasha Belaya claimed the first set with a 6-3 victory over Auburn's Georgie Axon and Caroline Turner on court two. Auburn responded with a 6-4 win from the freshman tandem of Jaeda Daniel and Madeline Meredith over Illinois' Asuka Kawai and Mia Rabinowitz on court three. Illinois clinched the point with a 7-5 win from Jaclyn Switkes and Emilee Duong over Auburn's No. 60 tandem of Taylor Russo and Alizee Michaud on court one.
Singles play came down to the wire. The Tigers started their comeback attempt with senior Andie Dikosavljevic claiming the first singles match with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Illinois' Daniela Pedraza Novak on court five. Fellow senior Alizee Michaud continued that momentum with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Illinois' Asuka Kawai on court one.
Illinois evened up the match with a 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 win from No. 79 Jaclyn Switkes over Auburn's No. 60 Jaeda Daniel on court two. Mia Rabinowitz gave the Illini the lead with a 0-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over Auburn's No. 121 Taylor Russo on court three.
Madeline Meredith drew the Tigers even again with a 4-6, 6-2, 7-6 win over Illinois' Emilee Duong on court four. In the final set, however, Sasha Belaya clinched the match for the Illini with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 win over Auburn's Caroline Turner on court six.
Against Alabama, the Tigers were able to clinch the doubles point. Fellow freshman Jaeda Daniel and Madeline Meredith won the first set 6-2 over Alabama's Smith Hinton and Jacqueline Pelletier on court three. The No. 60 tandem of Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo clinched the match for the Tigers with a 6-2 win over Alabama's Andie Daniell and Ann Selim on court one.
The Tigers continued their domination in singles. Madeline Meredith notched the first singles point for the Tigers with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Alabama's Jacqueline Pelletier on court four. Jaeda Daniel followed that with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Alabama's Smith Hinton on court two. Sophomore Taylor Russo clinched the match point moments after with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Alabama's Luca Fabian.
No. 26 Auburn is now 11-4 on the season. The Tigers' next action will be at Vanderbilt on Friday, March 2 at 3 p.m. CT.
#5 Illinois 4, #26 Auburn 3
1. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) def. Asuka Kawai (ILL) 6-3, 6-3
2. #79 Jaclyn Switkes (ILL) def. #60 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Mia Rabinowitz (ILL) def. #121 Taylor Russo (AUBURN) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Emilee Duong (ILL) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6
5. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) def. Daniela Pedraza Novak (ILL) 6-4, 6-2
6. Sasha Belaya (ILL) def. Caroline Turner (AUBURN) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
1. Jaclyn Switkes/Emilee Duong (ILL) def. #60 Taylor Russo/Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) 7-5
2. Daniela Pedraza Novak/Sasha Belaya (ILL) def. Caroline Turner/Georgie Axon (AUBURN) 6-3
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Asuka Kawai/Mia Rabinowitz (ILL) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,1,2,3,4,6)
#26 Auburn 4, #31 Alabama 0
1. Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) vs #118 Andie Daniell (UA) 5-7, 0-2, unfinished
2. #60 Jaeda Daniel (AUBURN) def. Smith Hinton (UA) 6-0, 6-4
3. #121 Taylor Russo (AUBURN) def. Luca Fabian (UA) 6-1, 6-3
4. Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Jacqueline Pelletier (UA) 6-2, 6-0
5. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUBURN) def. Kylie Moulin (UA) 4-6, 1-4, unfinished
6. Caroline Turner (AUBURN) vs Ann Selim (UA) 6-0, 3-4, unfinished
1. #60 Taylor Russo/Alizee Michaud (AUBURN) def. Andie Daniell/Ann Selim (UA) 6-2
2. Caroline Turner/Georgie Axon (AUBURN) vs. Alba Cortina-Pou/Kylie Moulin (UA) 3-2, unfinished
3. Jaeda Daniel/Madeline Meredith (AUBURN) def. Smith Hinton/Jacqueline Pelletier (UA) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,2,3)