Feb. 19, 2011
AUBURN, Ala. The 63rd-ranked Auburn women's tennis team came away with a 4-3 win against Memphis in the second match of a doubleheader Saturday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
"I was really impressed with Memphis," head coach Tim Gray said. "They've had some really decent results and have played a lot of good teams really close this year. We certainly weren't looking past them. We knew we had to play well and we did. I think coming out and sweeping the doubles was huge for our momentum, and it really got us off on the right foot. Memphis is a good team and we're happy to come away with a win."
Auburn opened play with a pair of victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to secure the team point. On court two, freshman doubles team Olivia Bennett and Jacqueline Kasler of Auburn battled Courtney Collins and Mariya Sulpska and came away with an 8-3 victory.
The veteran team of Plamena Kurteva and Paulina Schippers defeated Kathleen Hawkins and Kelly Gray of Memphis 8-3 on court one to secure the doubles point for Auburn. The Tigers continued to be dominant in doubles as Schreimann and Caroline Thornton beat Memphis's Andrea Arques-Garcia and Stefanie Mikesz 8-6 on court three.
Memphis's 107th-ranked Courtney Collins opened singles with a straight-set win at No. 1 singles as she defeated Schippers 6-2 in both sets.
Auburn battled back and earned victories from sophomore Jacqueline Kasler, freshman Olivia Bennett and sophomore Plamena Kurteva. Kasler defeated Memphis's Kelly Gray 6-2, 6-2 on court four. Bennett was next to record a victory at No. 3 by defeating Stefanie Mikesz 6-4, 6-1.
Kurteva secured Auburn's team victory at No. 5 singles as she defeated Kathleen Hawkins 6-3, 6-1. With the match decided, Memphis's Mariya Sulpska defeated sophomore Carolina Thornton at No. 2 singles, 6-4, 6-2.
In the final match of the afternoon, Schreimann and Andrea Arques-Garcia of Memphis battled for three sets before Schreimann fell 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Up next for Auburn is the Blue-Gray Invitational. The three-day tournament will be held in Montgomery, Ala., from Feb. 25-27. The Tigers will then open SEC play with matches against Georgia and Tennessee on March 4 and 6.
1. #107 Courtney Collins (MU) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mariya Sulpska (MU) def. Caroline Thornton (AU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Olivia Bennett (AU) def. Stefanie Mikesz (MU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Kelly Gray (MU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Kathleen Hawkins (MU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Andrea Arques-Garcia (MU) def. Taylor Schreimann (AU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. Olivia Bennett/Jacqueline Kasler (AU) def. Courtney Collins/Mariya Sulpska (MU) 8-3
2. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Kathleen Hawkins/Kelly Gray (MU) 8-3
3. Taylor Schreimann/Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Andrea Arques-Garcia/Stefanie Mikesz (MU) 8-6
Auburn 2-4; National ranking #63
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,3,5,2,6)