Feb. 19, 2011
AUBURN, Ala. - The 63rd-ranked Auburn women's tennis team hosted its first home meet Saturday against the Bulldogs of Alabama A&M in the first match of a double header and came away with a 7-0 win.
"Our schedule up to this point has been pretty ambitious and we showed some promise so it was nice to get a bit of a breather," head coach Tim Gray said. "We wanted the team to stay focused and work on the things we have been working on. They did a good job and we will need to keep the momentum going in to the afternoon match."
Alabama A&M did not field a third doubles team, therefore forfeiting the final doubles match.
Auburn continued its dominant performance in singles play. Kurteva, Taylor Cotten, Kasler and Bennett all earned 6-0, 6-0 victories for the Tigers.
Caroline Thornton finished her match on court two with a 6-1, 6-2 victory. Finishing singles play was Schippers, who defeated A&M's Denise Cherry 6-1,6-1.
The Tigers will play out their second match of this double header against Memphis at 3 p.m. The match will be held at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
Against Alabama A&M
1. Paulina Schippers (Auburn) def. Denise Cherry (A&M); 6-1, 6-1
2. Caroline Thornton (Auburn) def. Shannon Warner (A&M); 6-1, 6-2
3. Olivia Bennett (Auburn) def. Jasmine Cherry (A&M); 6-0, 6-0
4. Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn) def. Kara Kennemore (A&M); 6-0, 6-0
5. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn) def. Christa Rogers (A&M); 6-0, 6-0
6. Taylor Cotten (Auburn) def. Keshia Hiers (A&M); 6-0, 6-0
1. Bennett/Kasler (Auburn) def. Cherry/Warner (A&M); 8-1
2. Kurteva/Schippers (Auburn) def. Cherry/Kennemore (A&M); 8-0
Alabama A&M: 1-3
Auburn: 1-4; National Ranking #63
Alabama A&M only fielded two doubles teams, forfeiting on court three