Feb. 19, 2006
Auburn, Ala. - The Auburn women's tennis team fell to No. 7 Georgia Tech, 7-0, on a cold Sunday afternoon at the Luther Young Tennis Complex.
The Tigers (3-2) put forth a solid effort, but it was not enough to overcome the Yellow Jackets (4-1) with a trio of nationally ranked players. Kristi Miller, Kelly Anderson, and Lyndsay Shosho (ranked No. 7, No. 35, and No. 71, respectively, according to the FILA collegiate rankings) led the Jackets to their fourth win of the season.
"We knew we were going to have a war, but what we wanted to do was just come out and compete at every position, and we did," said Auburn head coach Tim Gray. "Today we had some opportunities. From a team that was 0-12 in the SEC last year compared to where we are now, we are going in the right direction."
Georgia Tech swept the doubles matches to open the day, then followed suit in singles. The 26th ranked combination of Lyndsay Shosho and Kristi Miller defeated Tori Almagno and Whitney Chappell of Auburn, 9-7. The Yellow Jackets' 42nd ranked duo of Kelly Anderson and Whitney McCray were victorious over Auburn's Alex Haney and Leigh Tippins by a score of 9-8.
"They showed their experience near the end of the doubles matches, and our inexperience came out. We have to get a little more aggressive at the end when opportunities are given to us. We will take away a lot from today's match. We were competitive in pretty much every match. As long as we compete and continue to make progress, we are going to do well," Gray said.
The Tigers continue their spring schedule in Chicago, Illinois, February 25-26 with indoor matches versus Southern Illinois and DePaul.
1. Miller/Shosho (GT) def. Almagno/Chappell (AU) 9-7
2. Anderson/McCray (GT) def. Haney/Tippins (AU) 9-8
3. Anson/Striplin (GT) def. Cowart/Gray (AU) 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Kristi Miller (GT) def. Ashley Cowart (AU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Lyndsay Shosho (GT) def. Alex Haney (AU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Alison Silverio (GT) def. Whitney Chappell (AU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kelly Anderson (GT) def. Tori Almagno (AU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Whitney McCray (GT) def. Dzeljan Memisi (AU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Christy Striplin (GT) def. Erin Gray (AU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 1, 3, 6, 4, 2