Feb. 13, 2011
ATLANTA, Ga. - The 61st-ranked Auburn women's tennis team closed out its weekend road trip at No. 14 Georgia Tech and fell to the Yellow Jackets, 7-0, at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
"It was another case of up and down tennis," head coach Tim Gray said. "We must be more consistent in areas and one could say that we're putting the cart ahead of the horse at times. It is really costing us. We're going to come back to Auburn and continue to work."
The Yellow Jackets opened with doubles victories at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to secure the team point. Auburn's Caroline Thornton and Olivia Bennett battled Georgia Tech's Lynn Blau and Caroline Lilly at the No. 2 doubles, but fell 8-5 to the Yellow Jackets.
Georgia Tech's 39th-ranked Jillian O'Neill opened singles with a straight-set win at No. 3 singles and the home team continued with singles victories at No. 1 and No. 2 singles. The Yellow Jackets closed out the match with wins at No. 5, No. 4 and No. 6 to win the team match up, 7-0.
The Tigers host a pair of matches on Saturday, Feb. 19, against Alabama A&M at 10 a.m. and Memphis at 3 p.m. Both matches will be held at the Yarbrough Tennis Center and admission is free.
At No. 14 Georgia Tech
1. Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. Paulina Schippers (Auburn); 6-1, 6-3
2. Caroline Lilley (GT) def. Caroline Thornton (Auburn); 6-3, 6-3
3. No. 39 Jillian O'Neill (GT) def. Maria Arechavaleta (Auburn); 6-0, 6-0
4. Sasha Krupina (GT) def. Olivia Bennett (Auburn); 6-4, 6-4
5. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn); 6-2, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Plamena Kurteva (Auburn); 6-2, 6-4
1. Sasha Krupina/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Paulina Schippers/Jacqueline Kasler (Auburn); 8-2
2. Lynn Blau/Caroline Lilly (GT) def. Caroline Thornton/Olivia Bennett (Auburn); 8-5
3. Muriel Wacker/Rocio Alberca Lopez (GT) def. Taylor Schreimann/Taylor Cohen (Auburn); 8-1
Auburn - 0-4; National Ranking #61
Georgia Tech - 3-1; National Ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,2,5,4,6)