Feb. 6, 2010
AUBURN- The No. 34 Auburn women's tennis team defeated the Alabama A&M Bulldogs by a 7-0 count Saturday afternoon at City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. Auburn swept all nine matches on the afternoon en route to earning its third victory of the season.
"We tried to come out here today and pick up a win, and we did just that," said head coach Tim Gray. "This was a nice win. We wanted to work on some things that we focused on this week and I think we saw some progress today, so it was a good day for us."
The Tigers (3-2) began the day as seniors Fani Chifchieva and Jil Hastenrath defeated the Bulldog (0-2) tandem of Denise Cherry and Brittany Jelks 8-0 in No. 2 doubles, while senior Myrthe Molvenveld and freshman Caroline Thornton took the No. 1 doubles matchup by an 8-0 count over Te'Isha Mixon and Shannon Warner.
Auburn didn't miss a beat in singles action, as Molenveld, No. 71 Chifchieva, sophomore Daniela Vukadinovic, Schippers and Hastenrath all defeated their opponents via straight-set shutouts, 6-0, 6-0.
"We've been putting a lot of time in on doubles play, and we want to see the girls implement the changes we make in competition. I feel like we're seeing some progress that we can build on the rest of the season," said Gray.
Auburn returns to action Saturday, Feb. 13 as the Tigers play host to the Jacksonville State Gamecocks from City of Auburn/Yarbrough Tennis Center. The match is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m., with live stats being found at AuburnTigers.com.
1. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Te'Isha Mixon (AA&M) 6-0, 6-0
2. #71 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. Denise Cherry (AA&M) 6-0, 6-0
3. Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Shannon Warner (AA&M) 6-1, 6-0
4. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) def. Brittany Jelks (AA&M) 6-0, 6-0
5. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Jasmine Cherry (AA&M) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Alison Gladness (AA&M) 6-0, 6-0
1. Myrthe Molenveld/Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Te'Isha Mixon/Shannon Warner (AA&M) 8-0
2. Fani Chifchieva/Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Denise Cherry/Brittany Jelks (AA&M) 8-0
3. Plamena Kurteva/Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Jasmine Cherry/Alison Gladness (AA&M) 8-1