Feb. 1, 2009
CLEMSON, S.C. - The No. 26 Auburn's women's tennis team's rally against No. 11 Clemson fell short and were dealt a 4-3 loss to wrap up action at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center. A trio of players picked up wins in singles action in the loss.
"We competed very had and had chances to win this match," head coach Tim Gray said. "The doubles point was key. We were in position to win at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles and Clemson stepped up at No. 1 doubles when it counted. They went after it and earned it. I'm proud of our effort from top to bottom. We can't hang our heads as they are the No. 11 team in the nation. We also had some great individual performances from Alex Haney, Melissa Koning and Whitney Chappell."
The Tigers dropped two close doubles matches to begin the afternoon. Clemson's Josipa Bek and Ani Mijacika narrowly defeated Auburn's duo of Fani Chifchieva and Melissa Koning, 8-6, in the No. 1 position. Auburn's Jil Hastenrath and Whitney Chappell suffered an 8-5 setback at the hands of Estefania Balda and Alexandra Luc for Clemson to win the doubles point.
In singles play, Auburn lost the first two matches, but picked up its first point of the day on upset by No. 86 Haney. The senior knocked off 10th-ranked Bek, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0, in the No. 2 spot.
Haney's win was followed with a victory in the No. 3 position by 41st ranked Koning, a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win over Clemson's Estefania Balda. With two matches remaining, Auburn had closed the gap, 3-2.
Chappell earned Auburn's third point on a 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 marathon
upset of No. 117 Alexandra Luc. Chappell's win came too late as Auburn
suffered defeat in the No. 6 spot.
The Tigers will be back in action Friday against Texas A&M in College Station, Texas, at 6 p.m.
Singles (order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 6, 5)
1. No. 4 Ani Mijacika (CU) def. No. 6 Fani Chifchieva (AU), 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 86 Alex Haney (AU) def. No. 10 Josipa Bek (CU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
3. No. 41 Melissa Koning (AU) def. Estefania Balda (CU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. No. 111 Keri Wong (CU) def. Myrthe Molenveld (AU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. No. 117 Alexandra Luc (CU), 6-4, 4-6, 10-7
6. Ina Hadziselimovic (CU) def. Jil Hastenrath (AU), 6-1, 6-3
Doubles (order of finish: 1, 3)
1. Josipa Bek/Ani Mijacika (CU) def. Fani Chifchieva/Melissa Koning (AU), 8-6
2. Alex Haney/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) vs. Ina Hadziselimovic/Keri Wong (CU), 7-6, DNF
3. Estefania Balda/Alexandra Luc (CU) def. Jil Hastenrath/Whitney Chappell (AU), 8-5